Monster Energy Corporation vs. MonsterFishKeepers.com

C L O W N K N I F E

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2011
Plumas Lake, California
This is kind of old news but I found it interesting, I never heard of this news until now. What are your thoughts about this ? I think its pretty stupid, just because this website has "Monster" in the name they think it would cause confusion with their own products? Lmao?

"On February 24, Monster Energy Company sent a cease & desist letter to MonsterFishKeepers.com in regards to their use of the marks MonsterFishKeepers, and the MonsterFishKeepers “M” symbol in connection with clothing, accessories, and stickers. It also requires us to drop the trademark applications that were pending at the time for said trademarks. Monster Energy claimed that the use of these marks constituted trademark infringement and would cause confusion with their own MONSTER™, MONSTER ENERGY®, and MONSTER “Claw M®” marks. MonsterFishKeepers.com asserted that an informed consumer would be unlikely to mistake the two brands as one is specifically marketed towards the keepers of large fishes in specialized online sites & aquarium stores while the other is more openly marketed in sports-related facilities and traditional retail stores.

Later on, Monster Energy sent a series of demands including, but not limited to, abandoning the trademark applications for the MonsterFishKeepers “M” symbol marks as well as ceasing to use those marks in connection with apparel & accessories, refraining from using or applying for any marks containing the word “Monster” or the letter “M,” refraining from using the colors black & green on any MonsterFishKeepers.com or Monster Aquaria Network Websites or in connection with apparel & accessories, and pay Monster Energy Corporation its attorneys’ fees in connection with this matter. MonsterFishKeepers.com has no intention of agreeing to the bulk of Monster’s demands as these terms are extremely restrictive & unfair, not to mention downright ridiculous in some cases.

As you know, we have been using our MonsterFishKeepers and the MonsterFishKeepers “M” design marks since March 30, 2005 and the marks were duly registered with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office since October 23, 2007. We strongly believe that the law is on MonsterFishKeepers.com’s side, but MonsterFishKeepers.com will not be able to fund the legal proceedings that would be needed to resolve this dispute with Monster Energy. Unfortunately for MonsterFishKeepers.com, Monster Energy can file an unlimited number of appeals even if MonsterFishKeepers.com wins the first round of the case; in the end, Monster Energy would certainly outlast MonsterFishKeepers.com in the legal proceedings after MonsterFishKeepers.com runs out of money since there is no way that such a small company could compete with such a large company in terms of legal fees. As such, we, the staff of the Monster Aquaria Network, ask that you, the reader & MonsterFishKeepers.com member & supporter, help us to convince Monster Energy Corporation to drop this issue immediately. We intend to contact them via any means possible to let them know that this is not acceptable as well as hit them at the bottom line by boycotting all Monster Energy Corporation products. We would greatly appreciate it if you would take a small amount of time out of your day to let Monster Energy know that what they’re doing is not going to be well regarded/well perceived by us as consumers of their soft drink products.

In closing, we thank you for your continued support, and we hope that we will be able to enjoy many more years of fish-filled fun once this issue is resolved."

http://support.monsterfishkeepers.com

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
This is old news? First I've read/heard about it.

Good thing I don't drink Monster energy drinks so my boycotting is on

What's the true issue with our monster M? Neither M look ANYTHING alike

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mr fishy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
florida
Monster energy is delicious maybe we should work together and make like a special energy drink

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cyberhog05

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2009
Western Montucky
Looks like they will be busy sending out letters to other companies etc. I wonder why ppl think we are mentally challenged and cant tell the difference between the 2. Im going out on a limb here but im pretty certain that 99% of the population has seen a Monster energy logo and could not recognize the Monsterfishkeepers logo.

Think they are sending them to all the other companies etc that use an M as there logo?
http://www.google.com/search?q=mons....,cf.osb&fp=1f89c0783df6eff1&biw=1280&bih=685

monsterdrink.jpgmonsterfish.jpg

monsterdrink.jpg

monsterfish.jpg

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
Wow, total corporate overreach! I hope it's fought as far as possible to make it not worth the cost for them. Are donations being requested to fight this?

Edit: never mind saw the link

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store