Longnose gar in california?

Mr.dempsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2012
Where the fish go.
Well while looking around my LFS i noticed they started carrying longnose gar, I thought all gar were illegal in california? Did the laws change?

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
I don't think any law change, they are selling illegal fish! but are you sure they are long nose gar and not pike characin?

Mr.dempsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2012
Where the fish go.
No they are 100% longnose gars, they have 5 of them about 5" each. Mabe I should get one while I can................ they also started carrying red pike cichlids, they are not illegal but this is the only store i've seen carrying them.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
If they are that small, I doubt they are. Look up Needlenose Gar / Xenetodon cancila, which probably is what they are.

Mr.dempsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2012
Where the fish go.
Whats weird is it isn't like a mom and pop shop, its a nice place and i wouldn't think they would sell illegal fish in their store, so you guys are sure the laws have not changed or anything? I just want to make sure as if they did california would start sucks a lot less lol

Mr.dempsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2012
Where the fish go.
They dont have the black stripe down their side like needlenose do, could this be do to stress? or are they somthing else?

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
needle nosed gar?? Why don't you just ask the store people? LOL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store