FINALLY!!! THE ARRIVAL!!! MONSTER 450 GALLON

aceface562

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I just received word that my new tank is almost complete and should be ready for pick up this weekend. It's been long overdue and well over 3 MONTHS wait AND lots of careful research. I figured creating a build thread would be appropriate to share with everyone. Please feel free to share your opinions and suggestions. This is my first MONSTER tank so I am still a noobie, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. :nilly:

I want to pay special thanks to Kendragon, Hulon, and Cjfrontlovr for answering all my silly questions (I had plenty) :naughty:. Also, house 64 for the referral to John @ Advance Acylics (Please let me know if you need his contact info) for having the time and patience with this custom build.

The Master Plan:::
Custom 2x2" 3/16" steel stand, sand blasted and powder coated in white.
450 gallon 96x36x30" with 3/4" acrylic all around. One large center overflow box with two 2" drains and one 2" return. There will be a "T" within overflow box splitting into 1.5" returns each side of box. I wanted to do an external overflow box, but with the limited space i have, i wanted to maximize tank size rather than smaller tank with external box. I did some research on Durso or beanie animal PVC in the overflow box to reduce overflow noise. But i'm not sure which is more efficient or exactly how it should be done? suggestions are welcome.

Filtration::: Two different systems
72x24x20" custom sump built specifically for 4 filter socks and large K1 moving bed compartment
W Lim Wave I 3000 GPH 1/15 pump.

Closed loop glass media filtration
W Lim Wave 1 3000 GPH 1/15 pump
57 Watt Aqua UV light.

Below are a few pictures of tank and stand at the shop. I will update with pictures and details once the tank arrives. I haven't decided what lighting to use yet nor have any ideas with the aquascaping.

photo.JPG

tank.JPG

photo.JPG

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Thats real sexy. Any plans for a stock?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
What is the stock going to be? Stand looks great. 3/16" wall is heavy duty. If you are stocking heavily, I'd beef up the filtration and turnover rate. Two 2" drains can handle more than double what you are planning. Cant wait to see progress shots

aceface562

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That is nice, looking forward to the fill and stock pics:)
;)

Thats real sexy. Any plans for a stock?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
undecided on the stock if i'm going to move over my current stock from my 225 or just start fresh!! ;)

What is the stock going to be? Stand looks great. 3/16" wall is heavy duty. If you are stocking heavily, I'd beef up the filtration and turnover rate. Two 2" drains can handle more than double what you are planning. Cant wait to see progress shots
supposedly they made a mistake on my original stand with thinner steel but they remade the stand again with 3/16" thick... i won't know the truth til i pick this bad boy up. I believe with the two systems running, the turnover should be plenty. I will try to limit the elbows usage and run 1.5" piping all the way through for less restriction.

HULON

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 14, 2009
in the now!!
OH WOW it looks great !!! Can't wait to see it working!!!Love the white powdercoat also!!!!

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
Damn nice can't wait to see the pics when you start working on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store