"Cherry- picked " through Bag of 70+ of IT Datnoids

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
Just wanna share my experience of personally filtering through a freshly delivered bag of 2.5" IT Dats from FS.
- Goal:
1. 3bar "clean" /both sides (prefer sweeping middle bar)
2. split bar/both sides

After 15 mins, there were zero of goal #1, therefore these were IMO prefiltered somewhere else due to high demand of the ST look.

I found one of goal #2, but not sym split on both sides (photo below).The majority was 3B/4B combos +/- extra incomplete stripes. There were about 7 split bars with 3B or 4B opposite side. Found one nice sweeping "Y" pattern as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1342913633.656154.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1342913646.966427.jpg

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Thanks a nice split bar 888. Whilst not 100% symetrical, its pretty close. Strange how from sucj a large sample numbet there wernt more 3 bars or symetrical ones. I have always found this to be true whem picking from a large group of small ones. Just prooves, the symetricsl odd balls are alot less common. The 3 bar/ 4bar are very common how ever.

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
I find sym bars/both sides rare. There are always extra incomplete stripes, etc. I mean looking for a "clean" sym 4bar can be challenging sometimes, so these sym oddball patterns are very rare. That's why I'm keeping my 6" 4bar cuz it has solid bars with clean borders. But, glad I got this split bar, all its bars connect underneath from the left to right.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I've tried to cherry pick from a pack of baby dats. IMO very hard to do, cuz they all go DARTH VADER on me and can't see their dam stripes, lol! So, I gave up looking for a clean 3 bar and symm. oddball.

cullens089

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2007
Canton,Michigan
nice like the spilt bar

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Thanks a nice split bar 888. Whilst not 100% symetrical, its pretty close. Strange how from sucj a large sample numbet there wernt more 3 bars or symetrical ones. Just prooves, the symetricsl odd balls are alot less common.
You would be amazed how many times these dats are cherry picked before they get to a store. When these guys are caught, the ones that are 100% stable are cherry picked, then symmetrical 3 bar, symmetrical 4 bar, symmetrical oddballs, then the rest.....even before they get to the states! It is simple demand & supply. If the unsymmetrical oddballs were on everyone's list, we would see more 3 & 4 bar symmetrical indos. I once "cherry picked" from a batch of hundreds of indos that had just arrived to the states. I immediately picked the only 3 indos that were golden yellow. Up to this date, they are 100% stable ALL the time. I guess indos come in great quantities & some "good" ones slip through the system.

88fish: Nice Y pattern & stable indo you got there!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store