saltwater or freshwater tank that is the question..

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
i have never had a salt water tank and i am curious to try...i have a 40 some gallon hex with sand in it and was wondering if it would make a good salt tank..what is the smallest tank that you can safely use for saltwater..and besides filters and heater what else would you need for saltwater tanks.

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
brackish... what fish would you recomend for brackish...plus it is not a very big tank it is more tall than big around..

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
i have always wanted a saltwater tank but scared it will crash and all my fish are gone..so i want to try it on a smaller tank that i dont need to house my already have fish..i would really love to have a fully aqautic salamander like the one in your pic rweedon..

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
You are pretty limited on brackish fish for the tall tank, freshwater might be better for that one. You could always do mollies or platys...they can live in brackish water. Visit http://www.aquariacentral.com and look at the brackish profiles.

hyphen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Los Angeles
william.is-a-ninja.com
boredcpl said:
i have always wanted a saltwater tank but scared it will crash and all my fish are gone..so i want to try it on a smaller tank that i dont need to house my already have fish..i would really love to have a fully aqautic salamander like the one in your pic rweedon..
smaller tanks are harder to keep than larger. with a larger water volume you have a little more room for error (bad water parameters can be diluted with larger water volume, whereas small changes in small tank spell disaster). a 40g hex is perfect for a reef tank. you're limited on predators (frogfish, hawkfish, lionfish come to mind) but there are a number of reef-safe fish and inverts you could keep.

with a hex tank you can stack up your live rock really high, have room for some awesome coral placement and still have room for all water levels of fish.

boredcpl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
lawrencburg,indiana
i was thinking of having about 2 clownfish and maybe some live rocks or so...but any suggestions on others to keep in the same tank..im looking for hardy fish..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store