Studying the Polypterus

blangis

Feeder Fish
Jul 19, 2009
Brasil
Hello.

My name is Rafael Blangis, I am Brazilian and a worshiper of Polypterus and ask permission to post to the forum.

My English is very bad and everything is translated post here or directed through friends. If you write something wrong ... I'm sorry ..

This is my blog: http://diariodeumpolypterus.blogspot.com.br/ herd where my work and this is the forum in Brazil where he learned a lot http://www.forumaquario.com.br/forum/viewtopic.php?f = 9 & t = 6468 ..

Much of what was learned influences the MKF ... and for that I thank all

Follow my first post.

Polypterus´ Large Scale Reproduction Procedure - "FARMS"

When a fish reaches sexual maturity, some factors stimulate the same hormone to initiate a process that allows the maturation of sperm and egg.
In nature, these stimuli might be:

• Season Changes
• Pluviosity
• Water Color Changes;
• Temperature Changes
• Depth Variations
• Brightness Variations
• Other species´spawning and hormones increasement dissolved into the water;
• Rain Drops or Wind Sounds;
• Pheromones Releasing
These changes are captured by the fish sensorial organs such as the olfactory, auditive and the visual system. Regarding Polypterus, the most developed systems are the olfactory and the auditive ones.After the stimuli capture, they are directed to the brain where a huge hormone blast happens, inside the fish body. It has to follow its life and get ready for reproduction. In the fish body, there is a complex system of stimulation inhibitors that provide sexual maturation. The main ones are: the hypothalamus, pituitary and the gonads (ovaries and testicles) in the figure below is shown how these structures release their hormones and stimulate (+) or inhibit (-) certain functions.

hormonio tabela ingles.JPG
Fig 1 – Hormones

1- Hormonal Motion
2- hypothalamus,
3- Gnrh+
4- Dopamine-
5- Dopamine Inhibitors: Domperidone, Pinozide, Metoclopramide
6- Pituitary
7- GTh1 : Vitellogenesis and Spermatogenesis
8- Gonads: (ovaries or testicles)
9- Final Maturation
10- Dry Pituitaries in acetone : Fish Gonadotropin , Human Chorionic Gonadotropin
11- (Eggs or Sperm)

Here follows a quite didactical example in a class about fish reproduction. I´ll use polypterus, but I guess it can be also used for other species
Let´s wonder a Polypterus ornatipinnis swimming in an African river. It has been already sexually mature, as an adult, fully capable of reproduction
Initially, it doesn´t happen any stimuli (olfactory, visual, auditory, or hormonal) . Then, the rainy season begins. After this, the capture of external stimuli from the auditory system will cause stimulation in the brain specifically in hypothalamic (Follow the chart above). Hypothalamus produces two hormones, dopamine, (-) and gonadotropin (+).
Due to the rainy season, the fish brain understands that the reproduction period has started, and all the factors listed at the beginning of the text will also begin; then, the fish inhibits the production of dopamine and starts to produce currently GnRH (Gonadotropin). The excesso GnRH in the fish body will stimulate the pituitary.

Pituitary has started the production of gonadotrophic hormone 1 (GtH1) that will act on the gonads (ovaries or testicles). The gonads will release another hormone (I´m not sure if this hormone appears in all fish - Biologists help me please) Estradiol 17b that will be in charge of the sex cells maturity
After this process, there is another stage where the production of the Gth1 decreases and the Gth2 is released that stimulates the GtH2 spawning or sperm releasing.

Now imagine we have in our aquarim a lovely couple of Polypterus ornatipinnis ready for the intercourse. What is going to happen? If all the parameters responsible for the reproduction mentioned before will be ok, with some luck, reproduction will succeed. However, luck is not only a parameter that is always available, so scientists have found a way to “trick”" the fish.

• We can inhibit the production of dopamine (reproduction inhibitor) according to the article 5, these are easily found in the market)
• Using the hormone GnRH to stimulate reproduction. Because GnRH is chemically very similar to LHRH (similar hormone in mammals) LHRN is used because it is easier to get.
• Using the gonadotropic hormones with two possibilities: Collecting in the fish pituitary or placental origin (processed in the urine of pregnant women)

Extraction technique of the fish pituitary .

This technique was developed by Rudolph Von Lhering6 (Brazilian from Rio Grande do Sul , technique developed in 1934).
The first step begins with the fish skull incision, finding and removing the pituitary.
The second step consists in determining the amount of pituitary to be used in each fish. The determining criterion is the weight of the fish that will be injected.
After this, the classified pituitary is crushed and diluted with liquid glycerin and taken to a centrifuge where the liquid and the solid portions will be apart.
So, separating the liquid part, the solution will be ready to be used in the chosen fish.

Application.

The application takes place in the dorsal or abdominal of the fish. A second shot is applied on average 12 hours later. The temperature of fish has to be controlled. When they reach a certain temperature classified as time-degree, the couples will be separated and the collection process will begin.

ornathus injetando.JPG
Figure 2 – Hormone application

Collection

Eggs and Sperm are collected through the extrusion process (pressing the fish belly) in a container and they are mixed with something, perhaps a pen. Thus, fertilization will be consummated.

extrusao.JPG
Figure 3 – Brazilian Catfish Extrusion

Incubators

After fertilization, fish are stored in incubators with water rich in oxygen. The process ends with the farm fingerlings birth

filhotes ornathus.JPG
Figure 4 - Polypterus ornatipinnis fingerlings

The process described above is widely used in Polypterus farms in Asia, Japan, Indonesia and Thailand.

Species such as:

Delhezi Polypterus;
Polypterus palmas polli;
Ornatipinnis Polypterus;
Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri;
Polypterus senegalus normal and albino coloring;
Polypterus bichir lapraedi;

are largely "produced" at these farms and traded worldwide.
The most widely reproduction technique used is the described above and the pituitary glands were collected from carps and some salmon species The real disadvantage of these methods approaches fish widely sacrified because their pituitary has to be removed.. A product created by Chinese researchers traded as Ovaprim performs the same function of hormones taken from the pituitary has been currently used. Using this product, we can reduce the production costs and the amount of killed fish .

References

1 – Essential reading article for the one interested in trying the polypterus reproduction- http://www.forumaquario.com.br/portal/e ... the-aquarium /
2 - Pheromones: Chemical Substances released into the environment where an animal lives can be picked up by another animal of the same species in this animal and cause sexual stimulation and mutual recognition.
3 – Hormones:, Substances in charge of the information transportation in the body of the animal or cause stimuli.
4 – Illustration: Ventuiere & Bernadino - 1999
5 - http://www.slideshare.net/rafaelpicanco ... ial-class-2
6 - Rodolpho Von Lhering - Rodolpho studied Science and Language and has graduated , also as a zoologist, worked at the Museu Paulista where his father was a director, has published many scientific documents about this, studied at universities and biological stations in Europe. From 1926 to 1927, he served directly in the scientific field, working at the Laboratory of Parasitology, created by the entomologist Lauro Pereira Travassos,from the Faculdade de Medicina de São Paulo( College of Medicine of São Paulo).
7- http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... olypterids
8- http://www.grupoaguasclaras.com.br/arti ... cicultura/

hormonio tabela ingles.JPG

ornathus injetando.JPG

extrusao.JPG

filhotes ornathus.JPG

Chinggiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2012
Ca
Oh this is what keeps me in the hobby.

I left because of the 'macho monster' mentality but glad to see people actually studying fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store