difference between spotted and forida?

codymcewen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2012
calgary alberta
ok so iv got 4 gars and one was sold to me as a spotted, 2 florida and one gator. i doubt the ones a gater. but could someone post comparason pics of florida and spotted? they are all around 14-18 inches.

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
It is pretty much impossible for the average fish keeper, let alone an experience fish keeper, to tell the two species apart in almost all cases. Where the gars were from is usually the easiest way to determine if you have a Florida gar or a spotted gar as Florida gars are more commonly found in stores & online because they're farmed in large numbers while spotted gars generally are sold by those who manage to catch them. Also, if you're outside of the United States, then your odds of having a spotted gar drop dramatically as very few, if any, have been exported from the U.S. although it is possible that you could have obtained one from within your country since you're in Canada.

However, there are two people (E_americanus & Polypterus) on here that certainly can help you out & ID the gars for you, so please post pictures of them in the "ID My Gar" sticky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store