What are the differences between the florida, spotted and alligator gar?

Dutch Nut

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2012
Airdrie, Alberta
Hello,
So I'm new to the site and I'm in the beginning of planning my 230 gallon predator tank. I have 2 dalhousie bichirs and 2 ornate bichirs in my 55 gallon tank that I'm getting to grow big enough so that I can put them in the big tank with some gars.
Now what would be the best type of gar to get, florida, spotted or alligator????
I'm also planning on putting 2 freshwater stingrays in as well and maybe a snake head.
If you have any other wicked predator fish that would work please let me know. I know there are species out there that I don"t even know about.
Thanks everyone.

Dutch Nut

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2012
Airdrie, Alberta
Ya i was just reading some of the posts on snakeheads and ya, they're like piranhas. the best tank mate for them is a rock, lol.
Ok I know that alligator gars get massive, like 400 pounds but what about the spotted gar, what are they like in comparison?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Ya i was just reading some of the posts on snakeheads and ya, they're like piranhas. the best tank mate for them is a rock, lol.
Ok I know that alligator gars get massive, like 400 pounds but what about the spotted gar, what are they like in comparison?
There's not much point in getting a spotted gar if you're not trying to collect all of the gar species as they look exactly like a Florida gar to most people & stay about the same size; they're also next to impossible to legally obtain outside of the United States.

tigercat

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2012
winnsboro
I would stay away from the Alligator Gar in a community tank setting. They are to aggressive , and you may lose some of your fish to him. Also as mentioned in previous post they get to big. They are great fish, I have one myself but I would not recommend one for what you, Want to do.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
if you havent yet ide read threw the stickys. alot more detailed info on the species and compatabilities, care ect...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store