newby gar question

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
so i am on my first gar, a FLG. he is around 8-10" and in a 90gal tank that is 24" wide. do gars always seem like they dont know how to swim around? meaning, he is always just running his nose against the tank and clumsily trying to turn around, when he has plenty of room. basically not graceful in the least.

is this normal behavior? or is just because isnt used to his boundaries yet? just from observing them in nature, they seem to be a little more graceful through the water.

thanks in advance

Dubeckyj

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
Canada
How long have you had it? It sounds like normal begging-for-food behavior, except for the bit about turning around.

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
Mine did that until he go used to his boundaries. If I move anything around in the tank he runs into it a couple of times before he realizes it lol. But when they are hungry they will swim all over the tank looking everywhere for food.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
I've only had him for a few days. There are Rosie's in there, which got him active. Just to clumsy to really catch anything. Occasionally he realizes he can turn away from the glass and swims more "natural looking", but them goes back to bumping his way up and down the front glass.

I'm sure I'm just being an over protective parent, it's just my first gar.

Sorry for the barrage of posts, I just didn't find anything when I used the search engine

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
He'll get the hang of it. Just make sure he is eating something. If it has been 2-3 days and he hasnt eaten a rosy or anything then I'd put a slow goldfish in there. I was using shiners but they are quick and my gar would run into the glass trying to catch it. But with the goldfish he sneaks up nice and slowly and then one quick move and it's over. Sometimes the goldfish are quick but much easier and larger than rosies.

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
Haha. Yeah mine will try to squeeze behind the filter intake every single time, but then has to back up and go around. But yeah I think it is completely normal for your car to be curious or uneasy. Just provide plenty of cover until they are larger so they feel secure.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
check your water to make sure its fine, and i use floating plants for new/juvie gar to hide in to help settle them in. doesnt have to be anything elaborate, a plastic plant allowed to just float around the tank works fine. but it does sound like hes settleing in. but once settled in mine glass rub to beg as suggested. may try some krill or pellets to see if hes more interested in those then the live food. my flg in particular prepfer pellets ect to live, because they are lazy beasts!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store