large tank in a pier and beam house?

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
so i have been bitten by the gar bug pretty bad. and seeing as i jump into things with both feet and rocks in my pockets, i am already planning my LARGE tank build.

the issue i am concerned with is that i am renting a house that has a pier and beam foundation. its an older home too. the landlord doesnt care what it do but i also dont want a big tank crashing through the floor. :grinno: i am thinking a tank around 200-250 gal. like around 5'x3'x2' or similar. that will be over 2k lbs would it be more beneficial to do a wider tank like 5'x4'x2'? my thinking is the more area displaced the better? not to mention good for the fish.

what say you?

thanks

KingoRock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2010
Rockford
I have a 300 in my living room... no problems... actually the older the house the better imo... they make new house crapy

Sent from my SCH-R530U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Steve Manly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2012
london UK
I have a 300 in my living room... no problems... actually the older the house the better imo... they make new house crapy

Sent from my SCH-R530U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
aint that the truth...

not being from ur side of the lake.... whats GAR?

a larger foot print is ALWAYS better

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
It really depends on the type of pier and beam (how large are the beams and how far are they spaced apart?). The longer the tank the better (assuming you can run the tank perpendicular to the floor joists).

I had a 6x3x2 (270G) on a pier and beam foundation, but they were beefy 2x12s. I got a structural engineer to look at the specs and she said I was fine, but did not recommend going any bigger (I was at the limit).

Sidenote: I was renting a room out of my buddy's house and the carpet where the tank used to sit is still totally compressed. Ooops! :(

CichlaLoverer

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Sheboygan WI
I have a 5x3x2 acrylic tank and I want to set it up in my living room but I'm scare that the tank will be too heavy for the floor. My house is a beam foundation and I was thinking about using metal brace for the support in the basement

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
if you have a basement get some 2x10's pair them up and put them underneath where the tank will sit. I personally would run 2 pairs then have a 4x4 or a floor jack holding them up. Someone elses house so IMO go overboard, I sure wouldnt want someone damaging my house. I sunk my old bedroom floor at my parents with a 150 pool haha.

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
supporting under the tank should be fine, pics are always better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store