Heading out to try and catch some gar

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
Tomorrow morning I'm heading down to south Texas to a friends ranch for a long weekend of hog hunting and fishing. The Sabinal river runs through the ranch and he claims there are tons of small gar in all the creeks fingering off the main water. He does'nt know much about fish, but says they have long noses :). So LNG or SG I think.

I can house a handful in my tank temporarily if anyone would be interested in them locally. Let me know.

Wish me luck.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
Rwell, I'm going to try a few methods. My main plan is a fine cast net. I also have a sain (sp) net and long fine mesh fish net (big). I've had plenty of accidental luck catching gar with cast nets so hopefully now that I WANT to catch them, I will

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
I'm in southeast Texas and might be interested in some if you catch them.

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
Ok, just let me know and we'll decide if it's worth it lol

rwellbaum

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2012
USA
Rwell, I'm going to try a few methods. My main plan is a fine cast net. I also have a sain (sp) net and long fine mesh fish net (big). I've had plenty of accidental luck catching gar with cast nets so hopefully now that I WANT to catch them, I will
I have thought about catching one and putting it in my tank...
the only gar fishing that i have done is bowfishing (not recomended if you want to put them in your tank lol) bowfishing is alot of fun

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
have fun fishing in this heat, I can't even stand over an hour in the river try to hook some fish in this weather!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store