My gars Is going crazy !!!!!

Casper Lorentzen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
I have 2 gars, one around 10 in. And one around 12 in. They normally don't eat the other fish but suddenly they are starting eating the tank mates. So far 2 picktus catfish and 1 angle fish. How big must the tank mates min. Be to be left alone ? Hope for some help.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
If it can fit in his mouth it will be eaten. It has to be at least the size of the gar if not bigger. And no silver fish.

showcase gars

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2010
Tallahassee,Florida
Anything that fits in its mouth is gone ....if it cant fit in the.mouth it should b fine..

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
What kind of gars do you have? I haven't really had problems with gars eating tankmates. If it's a long slender fish I try to have it at least half the size of the largest gar, though I have had less than this. I the fish has a wider, or taller build, you can usually go considerably smaller. For exanple I had a 2" megalodoras uranoscopus with 15" cubans, 17" longnose without issues, although I wouldn't recommend that other keepers allow such a large size difference.

I would also like to point out that pictus catfish and angelfish are not recommended tankmates for gar.

Casper Lorentzen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Jacksonville Florida
It's the Florida gar. I can live whitout the picktus. But my wife really like the anglefish. So it is a must for the tank. Also a must for the tank is Oscars and the only size I can get interesting colors in is around 4 in.

showcase gars

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 2, 2010
Tallahassee,Florida
Honestly u can put a angel wit the gars ive done this before but in the future the angel will b food

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
It's the Florida gar. I can live whitout the picktus. But my wife really like the anglefish. So it is a must for the tank. Also a must for the tank is Oscars and the only size I can get interesting colors in is around 4 in.

If you and your wife are dead set on cichlids if would be best to rehome the gar. The gars will keep shredding things like angels, but could be killed by larger cichlids like oscars.

fishfetish77

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2012
miami
yea i would look into larger fish i really dont know why your gars did that to the angels i mean they are long fish in terms of height so wide fish aren't usually gar food. look into nicer looking cichlids that wont be lunch and that your wife might like just run a couple fish by her if she says no then find another one trial and error, it always works out for me. or you could try growing out your oscar in a 30 gallon or something. i actually have one right now if your interested;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store