When it rains it pours....

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
So yesterday i woke up to my new tire track on the floor... i was pretty upset as he was a favrus and i have never had one before and he was doing well and had really nice pattern. well just got home from the lfs with food and a new comparion for our catfish... and found the longnose on the floor.... two different fish from two diferent tanks... in two days. my husband was all excited as well because the lfs is getting in another LNG ( shes holding it for us) ... so now we will have 1 LNG. :irked: just had to vent as the lng was doing really well and eating like a champ.

only thing i can think of is weve had some storms roll threw the past two days. wondering if the fish got spooked and jumped.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-sorry to hear about the losses Amy, that really sucks. glad you will be able to get a replacement LNG though. aside from the storms rattling them a bit, have you found their escape route?--
--solomon

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
the only escape is a small opening where the filter is. the tanks are on a double stand oddly enough that is right by a window.. everyone else in the basement is fine. they have standard black plastic tank hoods without the light strips.. so its covered except for the filter opening in back.. i didnt punch out any of the oldschool overhang heater parts either so its a small but workable jump for either slender fish. i think im going to get a glass lid.. im wondering if they see the open hole readily. or maybe rig a towel over the hole.

oddly enough ive never had a fish jump from a glass topped tank vs the old plastic ones.

reguardless it stunk

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
the only escape is a small opening where the filter is. the tanks are on a double stand oddly enough that is right by a window.. everyone else in the basement is fine. they have standard black plastic tank hoods without the light strips.. so its covered except for the filter opening in back.. i didnt punch out any of the oldschool overhang heater parts either so its a small but workable jump for either slender fish. i think im going to get a glass lid.. im wondering if they see the open hole readily. or maybe rig a towel over the hole.

oddly enough ive never had a fish jump from a glass topped tank vs the old plastic ones.

reguardless it stunk
hey Amy,

i would definitely switch to the glass tops...those should be heavy enough to prevent the fish from pushing through when they are really riled up. one would be surprised how easily a gar (even small ones) can push open a black plastic top. further, if you can't get glass tops right away, just tape down the corners of the top (front two corners) that way they can't get out. i've got glass tops taped down at the corners, and my biggest tank (with acrylic tops) has a freaking bed frame across it to prevent the 2-foot+ fishes from jumping out! good luck!--
--solomon

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
rofl a bed frame? well picked up the new guy today and hes tiny! tossed some towles pver the openings for the moment and will pick up a new lid this week, or do something more permanent. had to move the florida as hes big enough im worried hed snap the lil guy in 2.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
100_3267.jpg

because no thread is good without pictures... the new lil' guy. he already ate a guppy sized rosy, so i'm happyier.

100_3267.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store