Help !!! ''Broke Back'' Gar Question !!! (not ***)

vinson vr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
malaysia
HELP ! ADVICE NEEDED....

Incident happens 5 days ago.

Guys, one of my Gar, he was fine all the time since i kept him 2 months ago.

Till one day morning when i woke up (Monday), i found him was just lying bottom of the tank all the time, he looks weak. Since then, he dont/wont eat anything...

The next day (Tuesday), he became like as the picture shows (broke-back).....i was sad, he don't eat, he was so pity, i am so helpless to see this, my heart break seeing him kept floating at the top of tank.... He cant even swim properly, He tried his best to do breath from top of tank.... :(

My wife told me (she don't really like or know about pet fish), my this little gar is not gonna make it........

i tried water changed 2 times, added salt......

Day flows, until tonight (Friday), he still survive, but broke back and just don't eat... WHY? What's wrong with my baby gar? Is this some kind of illness? Is he gonna die? OMG No pls!

Advice Needed. Appreciate, feedback awaits.

Regards, Sad Vinson from Malaysia. :(

Photo0175 - Copy.jpgPhoto0183 - Copy.jpg

Photo0175 - Copy.jpg

Photo0183 - Copy.jpg

vinson vr

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2010
malaysia
Any Advice guys ?

Should i take him off from tank, and place him in a swallow tank? or...???

Please.... =(

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Im guessing he either:

a: should be euthanized because he will die
or
b: he may survive but live his life somewhat deformed.

I would wait for an expert opinion though. GOOD LUCK! :(

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Is he in too large of a tank? That's the danger with gars, if you put them in too big of an enclosure at too young of an age they can startle and do this.

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
If he hasn't eaten in almost a week and his condition continues to worsen I would say he's not goin to make it. If you want to try to keep him alive I'd put him in a small, shallow tank by himself. Keep the temp high and add some aquarium salt. Keep up the water changes every 3 days or so. That's my opinion.

Redbellypiranha

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 13, 2010
Colorado
If he hasn't eaten in almost a week and his condition continues to worsen I would say he's not goin to make it. If you want to try to keep him alive I'd put him in a small, shallow tank by himself. Keep the temp high and add some aquarium salt. Keep up the water changes every 3 days or so. That's my opinion.
This will get old. My opinion is take him out and put him in a vessel and add clove oil slowly but not to slow.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
It may get old but if he wants to try to keep the gar alive there's not really many options when his back is bent in half

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-sorry to hear about your gar. it's definitely a spinal injury, but given the size of the gar (from what we can determine from the photo), it looks to be a young of year (older end of that spectrum) or a yearling fish...if it's a YOY then there is an off chance it could recover. i would suggest giving it another 3-4 days and see if the condition starts to improve. if the fish doesn't eat and looks the same after 3-4 days then euthanasia is the most humane thing to do as the gar will not recover from the injury. very young gars are more likely to bounce back from such injuries, but yours seems to be right on the border of being too old to recover. good luck--
--solomon

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
ide give him a few days as well, if he gets worse ide euthanise him but as long as hes right side up and trying to live... i dont believe in putting an animal down because you " think" its not going to pull threw. GL!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store