Pool sand

jpcampbell123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
i noticed alot of folks use it for their rays does anyone on here use it for their gars?
it makes sense lol when
you can get more of it for less than the pet store aquarium sand.
of course it would be used only in freshwater if i get it idk if you could use it in sw or not.

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
I am wondering the same thing as I am going to use pool filter sand as my substrate when I upgrade my tank for my FLG.

rwellbaum

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2012
USA
I switched from aquarium gravel to pool filter sand and i like sand much better. it is easier to clean and it looks so much better. you can put sand with gars. pool filter sand is much cheaper than gravel or aquarium sand it is around $5-$15 per 50lb bag (depending on where you live) it was $12 for me. you could use this sand for salt water i didn't i used live sand for my salt water tank. to clean the sand before you put it into your tank... dump some in a 5 gallon bucket and put a garden hose in it and let the water run until the water is clear (do this outside)
hope this helps!

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
i use red flint gravel.. fine grade. looks like sand but slightly coarser so it doesnt cloud the tank when my gar or eels kick it up.

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
I use pool filter sand with mine as well. No problems, besides a powerful tail flick displaces alot of it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store