legality of selling gar?

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
so after recently getting into the lopisosteus, i started really getting into harvesting them. i just has an unsuccessful trip on any gar under 20" but have lines on lots of fry/juveniles.

with the exception of obviously places that dont allow gar, are there other legal issues i need to know about if i get enough to be able to sell them? permits, ect.?

sorry if this is posted in the wrong area.

thanks for any info

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
contact your DNR, in WI we need liscensing to sell native caught animals includeing fish. They will have your answers as well as of any paper work is needed theyd know where to stear you to get it.

replicafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2011
colorado
Hi-

Technically it is illegal to sell any wildlife via the Federal Lacey Act. However there are licenses and permits that are "possible" to get. This federal law says no, you cannot sell or transport live wildlife. If a fish farm that is licensed sells catfish, trout or Largemouth Bass etc, yes that is ok. That wildlife has been in captivity and are offspring of essentially fish that are legally privately kept. Where the law is clear is wildlife taken from the wild cannot be sold. According to the law, no ifs, ands or buts. ( Minnow dealers have a special set of regs and permits in each state. )

So what is the answer? Can you sell wild gars? The answer is that wild caught, even with the proper over the counter fishing license, you cannot sell wildlife even if legally taken. That is a bummer for the collectors.

Transport is illegal in many states and across state lines. There may not be enforcement of the Federal law however. I think the spirit of the law is to prevent commerce of wild caught wildlife. I do not think it is actively enforced for "personal or private aquaria" if you catch them yourself and they meet fishing regs.

State laws sometimes allow exemptions for some species to be kept privately, such as "up to four bull snakes" or "six fence lizards" etc.. I have not seen any exemptions for fish, except in WI before the VHS fish disease you could have some wild fish in an aquarium.

It has amazed me to see so many people posting on boards that they have a wild fish to sell. In all cases, without a permit of some form from a specific state, it is illegal. If someone has such a permit from a specific state, for specific species that are caught wild and can be sold, I would like to learn more.

Being a fish enthusiast like everyone here, it is a bummer. One last thing. Those noodling shows where they transport live catfish, many miles and sometimes across state lines is illegal unless the state(s) special permit it. They are violating the Lacey Act. I am glad that they do not enforce it though.
simeon

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
Thanks for the input. I called texas parks and wildlife about catching fish, and as long as its a legal method, they said I can keep whatever I wanted. At the time I hadn't discovered the site and realized that it's so hard to get sime of the species that Texas fishers just kill at will. And seeing as I can collect so many young ones, it might be worth me looking into. I didn't think, at the time, to ask him about selling them, but now if I collect more than I can house, there is obviously a small demand for some of these species.

Anyways, thanks again. I will contact tpwd again and see what's all required.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
there are grey areas in the laws....look into some of them if you can't get a permit. i am in the same situation. i found grey areas in my state.

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
Hi-

Technically it is illegal to sell any wildlife via the Federal Lacey Act. However there are licenses and permits that are "possible" to get. This federal law says no, you cannot sell or transport live wildlife. If a fish farm that is licensed sells catfish, trout or Largemouth Bass etc, yes that is ok. That wildlife has been in captivity and are offspring of essentially fish that are legally privately kept. Where the law is clear is wildlife taken from the wild cannot be sold. According to the law, no ifs, ands or buts. ( Minnow dealers have a special set of regs and permits in each state. )

So what is the answer? Can you sell wild gars? The answer is that wild caught, even with the proper over the counter fishing license, you cannot sell wildlife even if legally taken. That is a bummer for the collectors.

Transport is illegal in many states and across state lines. There may not be enforcement of the Federal law however. I think the spirit of the law is to prevent commerce of wild caught wildlife. I do not think it is actively enforced for "personal or private aquaria" if you catch them yourself and they meet fishing regs.

State laws sometimes allow exemptions for some species to be kept privately, such as "up to four bull snakes" or "six fence lizards" etc.. I have not seen any exemptions for fish, except in WI before the VHS fish disease you could have some wild fish in an aquarium.

It has amazed me to see so many people posting on boards that they have a wild fish to sell. In all cases, without a permit of some form from a specific state, it is illegal. If someone has such a permit from a specific state, for specific species that are caught wild and can be sold, I would like to learn more.

Being a fish enthusiast like everyone here, it is a bummer. One last thing. Those noodling shows where they transport live catfish, many miles and sometimes across state lines is illegal unless the state(s) special permit it. They are violating the Lacey Act. I am glad that they do not enforce it though.
simeon
Your a little off on many points here in particular as to how the Lacey act works.. Points are so numerous that it would take awhile to clear this up.. But to the OP take the above with a big grain of salt and look into your local regulations as they pertain to selling or offering wild captured wildlife.

Longshot

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 28, 2012
Central Texas
You will have to get a commercial license. I asked about it a few years ago when I started making gar scale jewelry but they gave me the speech for live fish due to the person not reading my entire email. Go to the TPWD website and look for the license guidelines. It'll be lumped in with the guide licenses and such.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store