180 gallon tank, can't seem to find one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
I really want to set up a 180 ASAP, Spring at the latest. Thing is, I'm having trouble finding one!:nilly:

I went to the two local places that sell aquariums today and both said the biggest they can order is a 150 All Glass. I don't want a 150, I want the extra width of a 180.

Can you get tanks this big at PetSmart or Petco? If I have to drive four hours to get a tank then I will (nearest "big chain" stores are in Green Bay.)

Are the LPS's BSing me, All Glass does make a 180, don't they? I saw one on their website? What would prevent the local stores from ordering one for me (other than they just suck in general.)

What price should I expect to pay for a 180 gallon, just the tank?

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
If you want a brand new 180, check out Glasscages.com, they are about as cheap as you can get and very very good tanks, I have a 240 from them that I paid $600 for. If you get it new from a LFS, the price is going to be higher. Another thing to do is check ebay for someone close selling a used on, or craigslist.com.

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
I've checked out Glass Cages.

The nearest pick-up delivery points looks like Chicago or Minneapolis, 8 hours from me. With the cost of gas and a motel it wouldn't be worth it. I called them about having a 90 gallon delivered to me last year and it was $350 for shipping, and I'd still have to drive four hours to get to the nearest truck delivery point, so not really any savings there.

No Craig's list for my area. Not really anyone selling used tanks, either. I've been keeping an eye out for a large tank (bigger than 55) for years now....

The UP of MI is an inconvenient place to be a fish keeper!

boisblancboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Michigan
I had to drive 4 hours(I am in the UP as well) to pick my tank up from them down near detroit, but if they happen to be coming up this direction they will bring the tank for $80 bucks. But yeah if you have them ship it just to get it to you now, it will be like over $300, thats why I waited 6 months to get my tank. They make trips up to Imlay City a couple to three times a year to pick up frames, so when i new they were coming up, I ordered the tank.

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
boisblancboy, where in the UP are you? I'm in Gwinn. You must be near the Bridge if Detroit is only four hours from you (or you drive like a bat out of Hell!)

prophets

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2006
USA
If you go to http://www.all-glass.com there's a search for retailers on the site. Enter your area code and it should bring up the closet retailer to you you.

Newt

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
Michigan's UP
Thanks, prophets!

I knew All-Glass made 180's! I don't know why the Marquette store wouldn't order one for me! Heck, even 20 longs are "special order" at one store! They have lots of 5's, 10's, and 55's, but that's about it!

I'll try calling the other places after Christmas and see if I can get a price. But, I know at least two stores they list are now out of business (Gladstone and Ishpeming.)

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
What part of MI are you in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store