Fish stuck in Jaguar's mouth

grimprism

Feeder Fish
Aug 4, 2012
Ontario, Canada
My setup is a 200 gallon tank. Stock includes: (1) male Jaguar 6 inches, (1) Oscar 10 inches, (1) female Jack Dempsey 4 inches, (1) male Texas Cichlid 5 inches & (8) Convicts various sizes and sexes from 2-4 inches

about 24 hours ago, the Jag attempted to eat a 2.5 female convict... though I believe the act was brought upon by aggression rather than hunger. Unfortunately, she was protecting her newly hatched fry.
While I attempt to find somewhere to relocate the convicts, I've have been trying to make sure they do not breed... I change the scape around once in a while, and especially when i sense suspicious behavior, and break up their "nesting" areas.
However, this one seemed to have slipped past me.

I never imagined the jaguar would attempt to consume a convict, as I thought they were far too large at 2.5 inches to even fit into his mouth.. but here he is..
2012-08-03 13.12.04.jpg

As you can see, the convict isn't quite all the way in there... it looks as if the bulk of the body is in the jaw area.

I've removed the jag from the tank twice and attempted a removal, but the spines of the convict are too lodged into the fragile jaw of the Jaguar. I do not want to tug too hard as I feel this would damage the jaguar beyond repair.
The convict is no longer alive.
I've tried to cut into convict, and managed to clip the tail off. However, i do not want to stress the jaguar out more than I need to, as he has already been out of the water twice, and it's too difficult to get a decent enough hold of the convict so it isn't slippery and doesn't get pushed in too far when i attempt to cut it.

I've never had to deal with a situation like this before, so I am at a loss for what to do.

This picture was taken last night, and since then, the convict is now a little further into the mouth of the jaguar.

Should I let nature takes it course and wait a day or two to see what happens? Will it eventually get digested and move through? Does my jaguar have a chance or is it doomed?

He is by far my favorite fish and I do not want to see him go..

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2012-08-03 13.12.04.jpg

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Just a suggestion as Ive never encountered anything like this. Can you pull the Jag out and place in shallow bowl where he is still submerged and possibly start to pull the convict out by cutting the spines of the convict? Sounds brutal, but Im not sure you have other options. If the convict is dead, cut it up, then pull it out in pieces.

we4wieners

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2010
Atlantic City, N.J.
Sorry, I posted without reading the entire post. I would pull the Jag and cut the crap out of the convict. Just have all the tools right at your side so you can simply go at it.

Bettas

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Unknown
If the fish has teeth don't do this: Hold him gently and tug the fish slooowly out his mouth. Or you can try to get the fish to drop it. If it does have teeth though I would try tempting him with some food or slowly pulling the fish out until it is out enough for the fish to eat it properly.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
Cichlids have a second set of teeth in the back of their throat that enable them to feed like this (particularly the guapotes)--although this is pretty extreme. ;) If you couldn't get the fish out, I guess you'll just have to let nature take its course for now and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

spike38

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2012
leesburg georgia
I had an Oscar run around for two days, with a peacock hanging out of her mouth. But I could see it going in slowly.

If it's not going in, use needlenose pliers, and crush it's sides in. So the jag can swallow it.

Spike

Sent from my C771 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Calihawk

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
I had a Cory stuck in my Jags mouth, and the side barb was protruding out of his mouth. I couldnt pull the Cory out. Use a needle nose plier...I waited and waited my my fish was dying so I said, if hes gonna die at least I can TRY to save him. So I didnt give a f--k and pulled it ripping Jags mouth...a couple weeks later it healed.

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
Is the Jag swimming around normally? Or is he frantically trying to spit it out ?
If he's "relaxed" - leave him alone.
If it looks bad - spitting, thrashing, etc, the plier idea is a great one.

MTBjake

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2011
Menifee, Ca
I had an Oscar run around for two days, with a peacock hanging out of her mouth. But I could see it going in slowly.

If it's not going in, use needlenose pliers, and crush it's sides in. So the jag can swallow it.

Spike

Sent from my C771 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1
I had to do this once. Needlenose pliers and no mercy on the fish in the mouth but be very careful you don't hurt the Jag.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
This thread makes me question my wanting of a jaguar for my new tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store