Tankmate for Fla Gar

JNason11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
Maine
I am looking for something aggressive but nice looking... Any suggestions?

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ampthefrogguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Between a Rock and a Hard Place...
Polypterus

JNason11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
Maine
Anyone else... Would a pk bass work with a Gar?

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

815billybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
dwight IL
Yes I have had Peacock bas with mine. I have a pair of jags with mine now they don't bother it at all

Sent from my XT603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ampthefrogguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
Between a Rock and a Hard Place...
peacock bass =bad idea most of the time.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Any aggressive cichlids can ultimately end up with a broken back.

I keep Irwini catfish, Niger catfish, Granulated catfish (Pterodoras granulosus) , as well as longnose and cuban gars.

815billybob

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2012
dwight IL
Every time I add a more peaceful fish to a more aggressive tank I always mess up there territorys it helps out by redecorating the tank when adding new fish

Sent from my XT603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Gar aren't aggressive, barring the alligator in general. they aren't territorial like cichlids... they will however eat anything that can fit in their mouthes or is silver( they hold great hate for silver arrowana in particular ime) some fish bend or break this general rule. But most do not. Cichlids work until the fish decide to start breeding or dont want the gar in their territory any longer, the gar don't really "fight back" and will cower in a corner until they get spooked badly enough they jump out of the tank or break their backs. atm I keep a CK, and some Spiney eels with my gar and this has worked going on year 3. the CK has only been in the tank about 6 monthes now? maybe less and has only recently been bitten by my Cuban. Since then things have been fine, both went for the same chunk of worm.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store