Feeding gar red wigglers or night crawlers

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
just wondering how big of a sucess rate have you had feeding gars live worms?

i have a few that like frozen thawed blood worms . needing to start a feeder minnow colony or guppy colony soon.

how hard are minnows to breed as a food source?

jc

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
my gar love nightcrawlers but they are all over 1' . My juvi gars get guppies and rosy minnows, and access to them 24/7 with the occasional day or 2 w/out. once they hit 1' i will start encourageing pellets into their diet but continue goldfish/rosys regularly approx 40% of their diet. the only frozen food my gar like is krill... and I haven't tried yet but am thinking of adding cut peices of fish to their diet from the market. the bones,guts, ect are all where the mins/vits are not so much the flesh, thats where the fats and protiens are.

bloodworms imo are worthless nutritionally and like giving potato chips to kids, they are a snack. and unhealthy, very little nutritional content to them. I would try mysis shrimp or break up krill instead. The only time i usually feed bloodworms is when a fish refuses everything includeing live blackworms, but then work to get them off them quickly. Ive seen fish "survive" on bloodworms and some wither away being fed large amounts, spiney eels are usually a great example of this.

Guppies breed like mice given the space. Ive never bred minnows but heard it can take awhile to build up a colony. my local LFS gives me a discount because i buy large amounts fo live feeders, most will if you ask. Particularly if you are a regular.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've found earthworms to be hit or miss. My cubans all eat them pretty readily, other than that roughly 6 of my floridas and 1 of my longnoses will also eat them. Took a little bbit for them to pick up that it was a food item.

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
looks like i am going to be setting up a guppy colony soon lol lots of buckets and diy sponge filters never thought my hobby would grow like this lol gar are addictive
i hope to try a prototype sponge filter today to see if the design is ok

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Only my largest florida will eat worms. I have no clue why.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store