Simplest drip system

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
Anybody here using a really simple drip system? Planning to experiment on 1 of my outdoor tanks , would like to just drill a overflow in my sump, then run tap water through an activated carbon filter, how many drops is needed to make daily 10% wc to my 300 gallon tank? Also how long would an activated carbon filer cartridge last?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
10% would be 30 gallons per day so a little more than 1 gallon an hour(not including sump volume). On my system I started with 1 gallon an hour then tested the water after a week and made small adjustments depending on water quality. Why waste water right?

An easy way to measure water is fill a bucket or jug to the 1 gallon mark and time it. The problem is water pressures vary durning the day, at least at my house. My pressures almost double at night when no one is using the water.

batang_mcdo

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
Manila
10% would be 30 gallons per day so a little more than 1 gallon an hour(not including sump volume). On my system I started with 1 gallon an hour then tested the water after a week and made small adjustments depending on water quality. Why waste water right?

An easy way to measure water is fill a bucket or jug to the 1 gallon mark and time it. The problem is water pressures vary durning the day, at least at my house. My pressures almost double at night when no one is using the water.

thanks :) Our water pressure also changes here, its really weak during daytime and gets stronger at night.
btw would you be able to post pics of your drip system setup and overflow?
would a 1/2 inch overflow pipe be enough for the drip system?

dmopar74

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 24, 2006
Tri cities washington
1/2 pipe is fine for a drip, i was running 3gph through a diy 1/2 overflow with no problems at all. most carbon filters you buy at stores last 15,000g. i ran a simple whole house 10" carbon filter, pressure reducer, 1/4" line to drip emmiters, simple as you can get and it worked flawlessly.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I have 4 tanks on my trickle system. Each has an adjustable valve to control flow going in the tank. All my sumps look about the same as this pic and I use 1" drain lines, your 1/2" will work fine. I don't filter my incoming water so it's about as simple as you can get. The drain water just goes out to my yard for the trees and bushes.
I've had this system running for 5 years now so It doesn't seem to bother the beneficial bacteria.

DSC_0316.jpg

DSC_0676.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store