got my FLG to eat silversides

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
not a huge leap for mankind or anything, but, its good to know my gars will eat thawed silversides. i am already tired of going to the store three times a week for feeders.

currently i am feeding the three flg's, 12", 14", and 16", about 60 feeders a week. 20 a time, three days a week. i alternate between rosies, and golds. what do yall think about that feeding schedule? the bigger ones are growing in girth noticeably and the 12" seems to be catching up fast.

am i over feeding/underfeeding?

the feeders never last the whole day

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
I feed my 13" FLG 2-3 3" goldfish a day, so with them eating roughly 20 goldfish a piece each, then ours eat about the same amount so no I would say your feeding them just fine, but it's great If you completely get them off of feeders!

Reechardd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2012
Alaska
how did you get it to go on silversides? im feeding my pellets and feeders, thinking of something cheaper. pellets are cheaper but i still want it to have some actually real meat

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
how did you get it to go on silversides? im feeding my pellets and feeders, thinking of something cheaper. pellets are cheaper but i still want it to have some actually real meat
to be honest, I just dropped one in above them. They are very aggressive eaters since I feed them ever three days vs every day. Thawed silversides (most of them) sink. So they checked them out immediately as the floated down. But even after being on the bottom, motionless, the one that didn't snatch it up mid water, nudged it a few times and then took it.

I only tried it one them with one each, because I had a bag of live feeders that needed to go in. But on Monday, I'll try just the silvers and see what they eat.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
my 3 bigger gar make short work of 100 goldfish in usually 48 hours or less.... lol. they get them once a week or so and pellets daily otherwise. granted ide wager my cuban eats 1/2 the goldfish himself... piggy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store