Aggressive Fish Suggestions

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2012
Boulder, CO
I am purchasing a 180 gallon aquarium and would like to change it from a reef setup to an aggressive FOWLR tank. It has a 55 gallon sump and a protein skimmer rated to 400 gallons. I have decided to get a Picasso Trigger and was hoping to get a porcupine puffer, a lionfish if possible, a grouper, an eel, and maybe a cowfish(i am not sure if they are compatible with the other species). Let me know what you guys think :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey the only thing I can input is that might have a problem with the puffer and lion as the puffer is known to nip the fins of the lion.

puffykid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2012
Wisconsin
I don't suggest keeping eels, puffers and lion fish together. It doesn't seem to end well almost ever, I personally think its cause puffers are just so clever that eventually curiosity of what this weird slowly swimming thing is with lots of stuff sticking out of it is? and is it food? Then you have a poisoned puffer, and potentially a hurt lion fish lame.

Not to mention eels even when well fed will often slowly make meals out of tank mates, when its the puffer's turn you may end up with a dead eel, a dead puffer and a tank full of puffer toxin.

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
Don't bother with eels or lions if you're set on the trigger as the centerpiece fish. I'd go with hardy fast moving fish like squirrelfish or aggressive fish like smaller groupers

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
I heard people not having too many problems with tanks of triggers. Maybe you can do a tank with a few triggers, or get a pair of the more docile triggers with numerous smaller fish.

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
I'm planning on putting either a blue jaw or pink tail in my 125 along with some calmer press. Why not go for the calmer triggers? Also just a note, triggers are color aggressive, so you could (theoretically) keep say a humu Picasso, clown, Niger, and maybe a blue lined together if you had a big enough tank. However keeping a humu Picasso and a humu rectangle or lunula would end in some dead fish most likely. I only know this from job shadowing at the lfs for a high school project. Where the owner had a show tank with some triggers ( humu rectangle, clown, baby undulate) and since they looked different there where no major problems.

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2012
Boulder, CO
What about a miniatus grouper? Could it fit in my tank? And if so, what could it go with?

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2012
Boulder, CO
Here is an idea, what about a miniatus grouper, a humu rectangle trigger, a Tessalata Eel, and a porcupine puffer?

azjc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2012
Gold Canyon, AZ
I have a 180 FOWLER with a queen trigger and miniatus grouper. Both fish are about 6" . The QT is the boss but the grouper wont back down when challenged

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store