Who else has a "Rocket Gar?"

rwellbaum

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2012
USA
hey everyone i just got a rocket gar from a friend of mine he is about 5 inches right now. they are a cool fish!
I was just wondering who else has a rocket gar?
show off your pics of your rocket gars!

Other common names for the Ctenolucius hujeta "rocket gar"
hujeta gars, pike characins, spotted cachorros, south american freshwater needlefish, freshwater barracudas, gar characins, slant-nose gars, and silver gars.

this is my rocket gar he is in a 75 gallon grow out tank
gar1.JPG
gar2.JPG

gar1.JPG

gar2.JPG

Reactions: Irecruitfish

RWaltman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Warren, PA
I had one for about 2 years, he was approximately 8-9" when my eartheater wiped him out...split him in two. He was always pretty skittish in the tank...maybe it was his roommates though.

rwellbaum

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2012
USA
cool!
this is my 2nd rocket gar my other one was about 7" and my old oscar ate him this gar is with 2 small giant gouramis and 2 small peacock bass in my 75 gallon grow out tank

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
for this fish, a 75G may not be called a grow out tank since a 75G(with the right dimension) is enough to house them for a long time! And it is not a gar!

ChicagoDvd

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2012
Chicago, Il
I have 3 rockets! Ive found them to be pretty hardy although the LFS that I bought them from about a year &a half ago told me they were hard to keep. I thought they were pretty cool looking and since they don't get HUGE as alligator, needle nose or Florida gar, I decided to get them!
They also told me they wouldn't eat anything but LIVE food! It only took me a few months to get them to eat NLS Sinking pellets! I do give them Rosies from time to time though. It's just too cool to watch the way they hunt!!

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1344911762.345847.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: Irecruitfish

rwellbaum

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2012
USA
Yeah i know they are not gars they just call them that because they look like a gar. I call my 75 gallon a grow out tank because of my rockets tank mates.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store