How much is enough?

JNason11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
Maine
So my 10" FLG is now taking krill like It's his job. It has made me very happy that he will eat them now. My question is how many should I feed home? I know with feeders he can eat about 10-12 medium size every 3-4 days and have that fat belly look. But given the size of krill approx how many should he eat? I have given him 12 today and that would probably equal around 4 feeders or something? I am just feeding him until his belly is all lumpy... Is that good enough? How much do you feed yours?

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-the feed conversion ratio on krill is especially high (good) in gars, so i would not feed more than necessary since captive gars don't need as much food (or fat) as wild gars. 12 pieces is too much IMO; i would cut it down to maybe 5-6 pieces if you are feeding every day, and that should be plenty (i still think that is a bit high, but that should be your feeding ceiling). the krill is much healthier than feeders, so it's hard to equate them--
--solomon

JNason11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
Maine
Awesome... So I will give him the day off from feeding and start tomorrow with 5-6 krill. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Hero S using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Curiouse sol why krill is better then feeders? or is it mainly the disease potential or nutritional? ive never been a big fan of krill or bloodworms for fish, ive not had good luck feeding either as a staple. lots of constipation and health issues.

imo you cant over feed on feeders or pellets until the fish start getting fat. but i do routinely fast my fish 3 days at a time. imo this is important.

my gar get approx 50/40/10 of NLS pellets, feeders, nightcrawlers. i also toss a few massivore pellets into the tank every other day or so. ive yet to have to put anyone on a diet, except when they where strictly on pellets. hikari at that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store