Datnoid has popeye

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
So my favorite datnoid has developed popeye on its left side. It was extremely random and I just saw it. Fish is still eating and going after food so I assume it is due to fighting since it is the only fish in my tank with it as well.

What should I do to treat it? Setting up a hospital tank really isn't an option as its a 8" Fish and I only have a 20 gallon tank. Also I don't have a seeded filter so please throw out any suggestions. I'll get water stats tomorrow and also a pic.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Not really sure what Popeye is or how to treat it but the twenty gallon tank should okay for short term treatment.As for the filter,treatment may be complete before any levels even rise high enough to harm the dat.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
I had this problem before, I left my IT in the main tank and treated with API aquarium Salt once initially and Pimafix or Melafix (whichever is labeled to treat eye issues including popeye) for four days. Within three days the eye was fully recovered, I did a 30% w/c and treated for two more days to be sure any issues were fully squashed out and did another large w/c to remove any remaining medication when it was all said and done. I would recommend the above route but I wouldn't guarantee it will always work as fast as it did for me. Hope this helps.

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
Thanks Gage. I'll do a WC and add salt later on today. If it doesn't help after a few days i'll have to isolate and use pimafix or melafix

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Had a cichlid develop popeye due to an injury. I turned on the lights late at night (1 a.m.)and they all scattered with fright and charged head first onto all the driftwood, top glass and side walls. It took a couple weeks to heal but I though it was going to lose that eye cuz it was white and bulged out like Quasimodo.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Make sure your water quality is better than ever. Feed lightly for a while to maintain
Water quality.

Popeye is usually caused by bactetial infection.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
It pretty much disappeared right after a wc and salt. It wasn't too bad nor was it white so I assumed it was just damage. Also the fish continued to eat. He's completely healthy now. Thanks for the help guys

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Good news

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store