Red Belly Pacu or Red Belly Piranha ?

RedWild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2006
Hong Kong
Hi community !
I am wonder if they call Red Belly Pacu or Red Belly Piranha ? Which one is more appropiate? I have no clues what's the different between a Pacu and a Piranha.

I bought a Red Belly Pacu for my son ( that's what they called in the Local Fish Shop ). He's little around 3 inches now. My son put that "Pacu" together with his Parrot Fish in a 180 gals tank. The question here is , will the "Pacu" harm his Blood Parrot when that "Pacu" get big ? He's also has some other fish in the tank such as arowana, etc..

Thanks again and happy holiday.

Big Roc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2006
North East
You should have no worries for your Pacu or its tankmates, although they get Huge. The Pacu is a vegitarian and they also like to eat fruits,nuts,and berries. The difference between Pacus and Piranhas is that Pacus have a snubbed face and thier teeth are flat, unlike the Piranha which have a bullet shaped head and razor sharp teeth. Heres a pic to show you the difference......

pvp.jpg

RedWild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2006
Hong Kong
Thanks alot for your reply Big Roc. So as what you said, my red belly Pacu is a Pacu or a Piranha ? If it's a Piranha, is it more aggressive and dangerous because of its teeth ? He's only almost 3 inches now but I saw him chase my son's 8 inches long Tinfoil Barb.
Please advice me, thanks again Big Roc

RedWild

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2006
Hong Kong
So they're only cute when they're young :nilly:

I will definitely get rid off him tomorrow, either return him to the fish shop or just give him away to the neighborhood boys whoever wants it. I can't afford another big tank for my son just for him to grow this monster later on, or my son doesn't want to see his other fish be eaten by this Mr Pacu either.

I am still seeing him chasing other fish in the tank now, what a Mr Pacu . Thanks again everyone.

benzjamin13

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
Pacus are vegetarians by nature, but they are still related to Piranha so they will take some meaty foods. Pacus bottom jaws are not as pronounced as the Piranha. Pacus look like they have no chin while Piranhas have a strong chin structure.

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
RedWild;630669; said:
So they're only cute when they're young :nilly:

I will definitely get rid off him tomorrow, either return him to the fish shop or just give him away to the neighborhood boys whoever wants it. I can't afford another big tank for my son just for him to grow this monster later on, or my son doesn't want to see his other fish be eaten by this Mr Pacu either.

I am still seeing him chasing other fish in the tank now, what a Mr Pacu . Thanks again everyone.
Good call my friend, pacu need hundreds of gallons each.
Personally i prefer them when they are fully grown up instead of when they are little. Nonetheless, true monsters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store