cooters tanks

Cooterbrown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2012
Leavenworth Kansas
hi new here and though i would share my tanks to get some street cred haha. anyways I've been in the salt water hobby for almost 3 years, I'm split 50/50 between predators and reef, so i have 2 tanks but of course i have some oddballs in my reef like a shark pup and a harlequin tusk (most badass fish in the world).

heres the 150, it has a 55 gallon sump/refugium, with about 40# of live rock and a huge ball of chaeto. I'm currently running an archaic red sea berlin skimmer than sucks out about a cup of the grossest slime ever daily so i won't be replacing it any time soon. in the DT i have about 100# of live rock, lots of coral most is still growing out since my upgrade from a grossly overstocked 56, but growing fast. I'm running 2 400w metal halides, and 1 250w metal halide.

left side

right

shark pup about 3 weeks old and eating whole shrimp and octopus already. he will eventually get moved into the pred tank and then into a 300-400 with them in the next year or so but he's too small right now.

aussie harlequin tusk

heres my fat happy clams, idk why i like them so much

heres the predators this is a 180g dt with a 100g stock tank sump. 2 skimmers and not much else for filtration. i just upgraded to it last month from a 125g so I'm still skinning the stand and working on a canopy so ignore that. and i need a backdrop so i won't lose so much light.

snowflake moray, his partner in crime the chain link is in that same hole he's just really dark and camera shy

heres the big boy! 14" of venomous mean

thanks for looking, ill post more pics to show growth and what not.
-wade

Cooterbrown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2012
Leavenworth Kansas
i feed the predators a pretty big mix of stuff, silversides, crawdads, table shrimp, squid, octo. basically whatever i can get. the lion is blind from a recent icy outbreak, so i have to touch the food to his nose. he will eat anything though.

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
The 150g looks good but has some crazy stock that could cause a lot of issues down the road.

Also watch the stock in the 180g. Puffers and lionfish generally don't mix. Puffers, along with most trigger fish, are known to bite off the spines of lionfish and stress them to death. Also adding the shark to that tank is a bad idea, again because of the puffer. Puffers and triggers are known to stress sharks and bite out their eyes.

Love the lionfish though, nothing more impressive than a large volitans. The aussie tusk is also one of my favorite fish.

Cooterbrown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2012
Leavenworth Kansas
Thanks every body. It's a labor of love. The porc puffer and te lion have lived together for 4 years since they were each about 3" with no problems. The fish in the 180 are super tame I hand feed every one of them and the puffers will sit in my hand and let me pet them. I don't have any triggers at the moment I'm not a huge fan as theyre usually too aggressive for community tanks. I had a ray in the tank with them for a short time and they didn't bother him one bit. But it died after a week from iron leaching from a rock that mysteriously had a piece of rebar in the middle of it. I've got lucky with the personalities of these fish.

The tusk is by far my favorite. He's still kind o shy. I'm working on getting him to eat from my hand. The shark already does even at less than a month old. Kinda neat.

Cooterbrown

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2012
Leavenworth Kansas
The 150g looks good but has some crazy stock that could cause a lot of issues down the road.

Also watch the stock in the 180g. Puffers and lionfish generally don't mix. Puffers, along with most trigger fish, are known to bite off the spines of lionfish and stress them to death. Also adding the shark to that tank is a bad idea, again because of the puffer. Puffers and triggers are known to stress sharks and bite out their eyes.

Love the lionfish though, nothing more impressive than a large volitans. The aussie tusk is also one of my favorite fish.
Thanks I've been offered crazy money for the lion but I just could never part with him. 350$ a few months ago. What's crazy in the 150? Other than the shark of course

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store