Need advice on tankmate compatibly

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
okay so here is the list of current fish i have and ones i plan to get. the ones i am concerned about are in RED.
Current inhabitants: Florida gar Red Bay Snook, Polypterus ornatipinnis
Pending inhabitants: Fire eel (Mastacembelus erythrotaenia), Polypterus bichir sp. "Koliba", Polypterus ansorgii, Polypterus weeksii, Polypterus bichir lapradei, Polypterus bichir bichir, Polypterus endlicheri endlicheri, Marbled Knife (Papyrocrannus afer), Giant Gourami (Osphronemus goramy)

Will I have a peaceful tank?

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Polys will be fine, I wouldn't trust the p. afer myself. Considered doing this combo last summer when a local place got in a whole tank of them, but after further research decided against it.

I have seen giant gouramis that were complete pushovers and others that tried to kill everything. This is something that you would have to base off the individual gourami. IMO an iffy combo at best that you would have to be prepared to separate if aggression started, dead gar as the worst case senario.

Also on your list that wasn't highlighted that could be potential problems are the fire eel and red bay snook. I've personally had bad luck mixing spiney eels with gars. Roughly same sized floridas killed spineys. With the red bay snook it is the typical cichlids with gars combo that is advised against. Any aggression could result in a broken back and dead gar.

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
Thanks for the advice, i can 86 the snook, so what should i add for color in my tank?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
i agree with the knife, snook, and gg. But i have kept spiney eels with my gar since i started keeping gar. imo the fire would be fine if it was 12" +. personally though with your more aggressive tank mates i would go with one of the tire tracks as they are more aggressive and hold their own.

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
My Fl gar is 22" my Snook is 5" my ornate is 12", the fire eel will be 24", all the other pending will be 10" or bigger. My Fl is pretty passive eats pellets and is wc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store