Dammit!!!!!!

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So I go down into my subterranean fish lair to check on everyone and I'm greeted by my NTT that I have had for a little over a year.It is out and swimming in the center of the tank and sporting an ugly bulge in it's side and looks like the kind of ailment that has taken out so many thinbars in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Sucks to hear; that's never a good thing to see.

In regards to Dats in general, what's their appeal? I've never kept one but I see a lot of talk about Dats being unstable/stable, not eating, finicky and only eating live, etc. They seem like a pain in the butt. What makes them so popular? Hope you don't take it the wrong way...I'm honestly curious why they get so much fanfare given all the issues that people seem to have with them. They kinda remind me of Discus with how touchy they are.

They seem to be one of those fish that you wonder how they even survive in the wild.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Interesting points Al but in the wild they probably have very few of the issues that they experience in captivity.Most importantly they would eat what they want instead of what someone wants them to eat...People have their own reasons for why they like dats but for me I like their look,all of the species.They remind me of salt water angel fish which I have kept in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
i don't even keep them but i LOVE their look. it's kinda like cars.......we all have our preferences and no matter what someone else says, you still like what you like. that's how i am with dats. right shape, right colors, sexy curves, oh me gimmie dat!

good luck krich.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
i don't even keep them but i LOVE their look. it's kinda like cars.......we all have our preferences and no matter what someone else says, you still like what you like. that's how i am with dats. right shape, right colors, sexy curves, oh me gimmie dat!

good luck krich.
Thanx Ballin and to Aldiaz it's cool I didn't take any offense to your questions,heck I feel the same way about other fish that seem to have their own little followings.....flowerhorns and parrots immediately come to mind.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
No problem,I don't mind the derail as you were asking a fair question about the fish.The indo dats,out of the five known species,are the ones that mostly have the stability issues so if you want to try one in the future you might want to look into one of the other species.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
sorry to hear about the dat Krich.... hows your armatus nowadays? getting huge?
Thanx man.The armatus is doing well and it will be moving to the 265 soon where it should put on more size.It is about fifteen inches now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store