Gars and tankmates

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I've lost roughly 5 dats to various gars. I also kept another 6 with them without aggression issues. There was always the possibility of the dats being too aggressive feeders and spooking the gars. It's an iffy combo that would have to be monitored if you choose to risk it, with alternate housing arangements being available. Would also likely depend on the individual personalities of the fish.

As far as clown knives, I haven't kept any of those with gars in well over 4 years, I don't remember any issues but those were juveniles. Hopefully other posters can provide more information on that combo for you.

BrandonJ3vino

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2012
Salinas
Yeah right now I have my 12 inch Florida gar that I pick up for $40 and his with a silver around his size and is doing good and I found out that they are selling some datnoids around 3-4 inches for $20 so I wanted to get 2 or 3 and see how they would do

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I'm sure you have already heard the warnings about silver aros and gars.

With that size difference I wouldn't risk it especially when you consider how slow dats grow in comparison to gars.

Also what kind of dats are they? I ask because my gars killed of larger silver dats even when there were smaller indos in with them that were not touched. I've had 10" gars kill 5-6" dats, but on the other end of the spectrum a 16" longnose didn't bother a 3" indo.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
i kept my gar with a ck for a few monthes. young fish, tbh not sure how they would work long term.. particularly once the ck got bigger. my ck hid most the day and minded his own business at night is seemed, ometimes mixing nocturnal and dinural fish is iffy. i wouldnt mix and aggrssive ck with my gar, ive heard of some real tank bangers. if you got one big enough not to eat but young imo your more liekly to have long term compatability then if you tried to kix them as adults or even subadults.

Brian_Fantana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2012
East
Size and individual temperament is the determining factor. I Keep an 18" Gar w/ a 22" Channa Micropeltes, 22" Channa Maruoides, 14" ST, 24" Silver Arowana, and 2 Marbled Motoro's 8" aand 10" discs.

Brian_Fantana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2012
East
Laters gar.... Hello Indonesian tiger dat

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I have to disagree.

Gar = constantly swimming and always colored up.
Indo Dat = Hides in corner and all black or washed out stripes.

No comparison IMO and experience. That is why I ditched 8+ Indo datnoids varying from 4-12" and recently picked up 5 gars and 2 ST's. The only Dats I will never get rid of.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store