aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
- All Plumbing is 2" Schedule 80 PVC and Flex PVC
- 150 Gallon Sump (72"L x 24"W x 20"H)
- Mechanical Filtration: Three 8" x 32" 100 Micron Filter Bags
- Biological Filtration: Forty Gallons of Bio Balls, Six Sheets of Matala Filter Mats &
Twenty Liters of Seachem Pond Matrix
- Return Pump: Laguna Max-Flo 4200 pushing ~2,100GPH @ 9' Head Pressure Drawing 160 Watts
- Heating: Six 300 Watt Eheim Jagers set to 85F. All Heaters are on a Ranco ETC Controller set to 80F (1,800 Watts of Heaters)
- 15LPM Air Pump Powering a 10" Air Stick in my Sump and 2 Air Stones in my Display
Check out my little Arulius Barb Fry at 0.55 in the video :headbang2

[video=youtube_share;3g4KGI7caho]http://youtu.be/3g4KGI7caho[/video]

IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_0104.JPG
IMG_0105.JPG
IMG_0108.JPG
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0113.JPG
IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0099.JPG

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Awesome pics and video thanks. Perfect timing given that I'm in the planning stages of my next 5-600g build. Your set up looks so simple compared to the crazy ideas I've been coming up with!! Couple of questions;

How long do you find the filter socks last being mostly submerged? (and how heavily stocked is the tank) All my experience with socks says that they clog really fast unless kept mostly above the water where gravity can do its thing and draw the water thru.

I'm trying to incorperate some sort of trickle part with water flowing over the media, but it looks like you're doing pretty well with out it, is that what the 10" air stick is for, increasing oxygen around the media?

Have you got any more info about the heat controller and how it works, where to get one etc? Do the heaters need to be hard wired in or just plug in? I bought a cheap thermostat/heat controller off fish-street to experiment with but it only can run up to 1000W, which may not be enough for my next tank.

Cheers!

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
i personally feel that those bio balls just sittig there arent doing much of anything. Also all the heaters in one spot like that are making them real inefficient. maybe half on one side of the sump and the other half on the other side.
Yeah, you know I was thinking the same thing. I think the plumbing of this sump looks really nice. But the water just goes into the filter bags and flows out on its own. The bioballs and Matrix media just kinda lay there and there's not much circulation on them and no flow over them. That means it's all still water in the sump. I think a trickle type setup or a sump with baffles would be much more effective. That way you would have water flowing onto the bio media which would create more oxygen over the bio and more bio as a result. In a wet/dry filter, (in my understanding at least) most of the bio is on the media above the water line because that media is more exposed to oxygen. With this setup, all the ceramic and bio ball media is below the water line and I think that makes it less effective.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
you still dont have any monsters in that monster? :(
and here i thought your monster passion was gonna
kick in and make you switch over... guess not :( ...
:banhim: lol jk love the setup and your filtration system.
i think some anubias would make it look really nice too
imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store