Moving my 2.5" dat

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
Hey all, I have a 2.5" dat in a 20long, he grows very slowly because he only eats live. Right now I had to temporarily move my 5" oscar into his tank because this oscar is bulying all my other fish. I want the oscar to be isolated for a bit until I decide what to do with him,

the point is would it be safe to move my dat into my 225 which still has relatively small fish? here are the tankmates

4 bichirs 4-6"
1 flagtail 5"
1 clown knife 5" (weaned onto pellets)
1 Chocolate cichlid 4"
1 Common pleco 17"
1 Giant gourami 6" (very placid and shy)

3 2" tetras (dithers that are about 7 years old)
1 1.5" molly ( hopefully will become lunch one of these days...)

as you can see he wouldn`t be the smallest fish in the tank, and there are a lot of caves, large flowing plastic plants and areas for him to isolate himself. I`m wondering if this might wean him onto pellets too.

the Dat is currently hiding in the tank with the oscar, but the oscar has a huge mouth and I personally don`t trust him. especially with his aggressive nature. Would the dat be okay in the 225?

thanks appreciate the help in advance

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
thanks, just wanted to know where he will be most safe. If I provide him with lots of hiding places to feel safe then I don't think there should be a problem. He grew out with the bichirs until I moved them into the big tank about a week ago.

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Ya, as long as he eats as gd in the 225, you might be able to just leave him in it. If he's overwhelmed by the size and doesn't beg for food the same way, you might want to get him back in the 20.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
okay, well hes not on pellets yet, I'm hoping watching the other fish feed from the surface in the 225 will make him try it, in the 20 you see he was only kept with substrate feeders, so he never really tried to copy them.

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
hes been in there for nearly an hour now hes doing great, he is really balsy and even tried to challenge fish twice his size. I'm sure he will get on great, I transfered the piece of driftwood cave that he lives in into the big tank so hes always got that as a back up if he gets frightened. also added in a few retreats for incase anyone gets chased.

thanks for your help everyone

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store