Are Gars Nocturnal Creatures?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Mine are alot like horses.. in that they seem to nap all the time, and are awake at dusk and dawn.. and regular feeding times. they adjusted to our schedule easier then any other fish we've owned. if i go down to the basement at an odd time, i can catch them napping be it day or night. most predetors and true prey animals seem to run on this schedule. opportunistic.. their eyes do reflect alot, almost as much as my rays which feed at night almost exclusively. so it appears they are designed to see well at night.

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Mine deffinately are awake during the day and sleep at night, I'll costantly walk by the tank and throw in a couple freeze-dried krill for them to eat and they snatch them up right away! At night, their patterns fade so they look almost all tan with very dark markings on their fins, and my longnose will lay on the bottom, motionless. I don't know if it's because I almost constantly feed them snacks during the day which is why they are awake or if it's just natural for them, I think gars in the wild are more active during the day, but I haven't done the research for my self so I can't be 100 percent sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store