Feeding Tube - Literally

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
I'm sure this is posted somewhere, most likely in a marine section because they seem to selectively feed their live stock more than FW hobbyists.
Thanks to Mike Sema I have a Megalodoras irwini and a Bumble Bee cat that shack up together in the same rock in my 450. This is a very competitive aquarium with my large Niger cat coincidentally named "Tank" camped out under the feeding hole. No one else in the aquarium eats until he is full!

Such a simple solution and may work for you guys, most likely everyone but me has done this in the past......

Simply an extra 1" PCV pipe pushed through the feeding hole and dropped into the rock formation the two cats live in......

Check out the pics below and let me know if this is a helpful post or I'm a dork. It's okay, I can take the feed back :)

DSC_0007.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

DSC_0013.jpg

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
the jokes on the first picture almost write themselves...

I tried that with my ray but found it easier just to use a stick to keep the fish away until he found the food.

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
I did that...ironically, it was to feed my niger cat since he was the the low man on the totem pole. My niger cat is named "Meat" and he eats massavores too.
I use that feeding tube with the stake on the end of it to hand feed my mini mbu puffer. I don' t even know the brand since it was a throw in when I bought a 50g tank years ago.

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
I use a clear tube and a funnel at the top. The problem this also overcomes is food wasted by floating over to the overflow. I feed all foods this way even live. It allows to (especially if the tube is clear) to make sure every fish is getting a portion.

You are not a dork.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
I use this method too to make sure that my bottom feeders actually get to eat, otherwise the mid-level vacuums get everything before it hits the bottom. Plus I like giving my clown loaches shrimp pellets but want to limit the protein that the mbuna get and this method works great to make sure everyone only eats their food.

Kash

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2012
Lynn Haven, Fl.
A dork, yes! But it's the dorks that come up with the best ideas!

I personally don't have any major mid to top level fish so everything ends up on the bottom and even though I'd like to be able to make sure everyone gets enough, my Sen Bichir, Brown knife and catfish all hide in the same exact spot!

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store