Finally - Ultima 10,000 Setup

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Finally got around to setting up the Ultima. I did a dry run, but ran out of PVC. This is my first time at this, to me I think its going smooth. Any opinions from the folks that have done this many times?

On the return, I think I need to add a union, is that true or can I get by without it? I bought all the unions I needed but didnt think about space issues by using them next to each other so I can only use one right now, if its suggested I put one on I will tomorrow. In one of the pics I have a union in place to see how it would fit and it looks like it will work.

Question on the backwash, for right now, do I need to have pvc setup for it or can I get by without setting it up? I assume nothing will come out unless I have the dial on the backwash cycle, is that correct?

Just an FYI, the pump is 3600GPH.

Thanks! ;)

IMAG1684.jpg

IMAG1685.jpg

IMAG1686.jpg

IMAG1687.jpg

IMAG1688.jpg

IMAG1689.jpg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
If you don't put a union on the return you won't be able to remove the multi-valve. The waste outlet will remain dry provided you not depress the handle. When you first start it up you may have to bleed the air out of the chamber by depressing the handle. Be prepared to catch water out of the waste port. No check valves? How do you plan to prime the pump or is it a flooded suction?

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
If you don't put a union on the return you won't be able to remove the multi-valve. The waste outlet will remain dry provided you not depress the handle. When you first start it up you may have to bleed the air out of the chamber by depressing the handle. Be prepared to catch water out of the waste port. No check valves? How do you plan to prime the pump or is it a flooded suction?
Not sure what you are talking about, prime the pump and flooded suction, can you explain? Is the waste port the backwash? Thanks

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Not sure what you are talking about, prime the pump and flooded suction, can you explain? Is the waste port the backwash? Thanks
Anytime you move the handle, air or water will escape out of the waste port. Because of the way you got it plumbed, you will have an air lock so most likely you have to bleed the air via rinse or backwash. Air in the chamber will make a lot of noise when its running. Backwash and rinse positions will dump water out of this port.
As it sits there is no water in the pipes. How do you plan to put water in? Some pumps are not self priming. Meaning it can't clear the air without water in it.

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ
Yeah waste port = backwash. I have a very similar set up on my pool, LOL you rock. :headbang2 No need to plumb this area right away. I just use a roll up blue flexible hose that I run to my alley when I backwash my system. A permanent plumbed system would be nice but it's not necessary.

I like unions. I usually put one on each side of the pump just for quick and easy replacement when the pump fails. I also use "true union ball valve" right at the tank. This is a valve union combination. That way I can completely remove the canister filter, plumbing, and so on, if needed and not have to drain the tank.

If your pump is below the water level you wont need to prime anything. Check valves are not necessary for closed loop systems.

Loving this set up, please continue to post pics :)

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
Couldnt wait, had to do it now :)

I forgot that I needed an extra union which I will get tonight and I will complete the backwash as well just to get it done and for piece of mind, I got a ball valve for the backwash, just in case ;)

I got to do a little trimming to get things even but other than that, just about done.

About the intake, should I have it close to the top, middle or bottom of tank? I will be having rays at some point.

:headbang2

PS: dont mind the electric components, I will have it all sorted out before I go live.

IMAG1692.jpg

IMAG1693.jpg

IMAG1694.jpg

IMAG1695.jpg

IMAG1696.jpg

IMAG1697.jpg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
How many gallons is your tank? It takes quite a bit of water for backwash so position it so it doesn't suck air when backwashing.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Sweet filter. Can't wait for new fish.

Sent from my Touchpad using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JasonsPlecosCichlids

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2010
Kentucky
jasonsplecoscichlids.com
How many gallons is your tank? It takes quite a bit of water for backwash so position it so it doesn't suck air when backwashing.
500 gallons, so I will make it around the middle. I got the rest of the items I needed so headed over now to attach them and take a few more pics before cement is added :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store