Tropical Gar

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
Can I keep a tropical gar in a 220 gallon (6'x2'x30") for life? Will they tolerate live plants? Pay no attention to my signture.

Thanks, -Justin

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
It would be preferable to give it a larger aquarium than that.

However, an adult tropical gar on the smaller end of the spectrum (<20") would be fine in there for life. If you were to grow it out from a YOY gar, then it most likely would be fine as gars almost never reach their wild potential maximum size in captivity.

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
It would be preferable to give it a larger aquarium than that.

However, an adult tropical gar on the smaller end of the spectrum (<20") would be fine in there for life. If you were to grow it out from a YOY gar, then it most likely would be fine as gars almost never reach their wild potential maximum size in captivity.
Ok. What does YOY mean? Do gars tolerate plants?

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Ok. What does YOY mean? Do gars tolerate plants?
YOY = Young of the year

Gars do very well with plants, and I've never had any issues with keeping them with plants. In fact, having plants in with the gar will help to keep its stress levels down by giving it some cover; this is especially important with YOY & juvenile gars as they're more prone to darting & bashing into the sides of the aquarium.

Also, be sure to start the gar out in a smaller aquarium in order to prevent any feeding issues or back issues.

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
YOY = Young of the year

Gars do very well with plants, and I've never had any issues with keeping them with plants. In fact, having plants in with the gar will help to keep its stress levels down by giving it some cover; this is especially important with YOY & juvenile gars as they're more prone to darting & bashing into the sides of the aquarium.

Also, be sure to start the gar out in a smaller aquarium in order to prevent any feeding issues or back issues.
Ok, Thanks!

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Going by my trops I'd have to recommend a wider tank. My female trop is pushing the 30" mark and the male isn't far behind. Mine are uncaring of a scaped tank or bare tank (they've been in both at one time or another). So long as the water is clean and the food is on time, they're fine with anything.

JML1997

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
N.B, Canada
Going by my trops I'd have to recommend a wider tank. My female trop is pushing the 30" mark and the male isn't far behind. Mine are uncaring of a scaped tank or bare tank (they've been in both at one time or another). So long as the water is clean and the food is on time, they're fine with anything.
Not what I wanted to hear, but it is what it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store