Dat scratching or flashing

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
It didn't take me long after owning my first dat that dats get the urge to scratch themselves periodically. Usually just a slow sideways sweep towards a favorite scratching object, then they might repeat one or two more times. But then it stops. He might get another itch later that day or a few days later, but it's obvious it's nothing to worry about especially when he's been in this extremely random itching routine for years with no negative physical symtoms. My wild theories to this is either they just have itches like we do, or it might be a growth spurt thing...??
Then you have the case where your dat is constantly flashing or itching on an object. This seems to be a more intense itch and can go on and on till your dat either gets a wound or messes up their eyes bigtime (sometimes blindness). I lost a few widebars this way over 10years ago (thank god they were cheap then). I still get sick now when i think about it. My waterquality was not up to par in those days due to overstocking and lack of WC's because i was dealing with a crazy ex-gf. Constant flashing happened a couple times with indos in later years, but with a nice intense cleaning of the tank it stopped

Sorry with the long write-up here. Wondering what other members have observed (if anything) when it comes to random harmless scratching vs constant destructive flashing on an object and possible reasons for them

Gage Zamrzla

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2010
Penn Valley, CA
It seems to be harmless itching unless it's a regular occurrence. I've seen cichlids show this behavior before as well.
I'm no expert in this area but if the fish is itching on a regular basis or is doing so numerous times in a row you may be looking at parasites or flukes. Again I'm not thoroughly knowledgeable on the matter but hopefully this can give you something to think about until one of the more knowledgeable members comes along.

djaalix

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2011
Mahopac Falls, NY
yeah i had the same thing happen with my NTT's when i first got into the fish hobby about a year or 2 ago... overfeeding and lots of fish and not enough water changes lead to lots of flashing to the point of abrasions on the sides and cloudy bluish eyes... i upped my water changes and added current to the tank, and it stopped within a week or two... almost think it was more the addition of current than water quality, but both def played a part... i lost 1 in the ordeal, which was unfortunate.... now they just flash infrequently which i think is completely normal

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
My indo's do scratch themselves occasionally too...

legitasballz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 9, 2012
fairfax
I have an seven inch Jaguar and four inch FH in my 90 gallon tank. They used to have many more tank mates but I got rid of them all.
My jag has never flashed before and neither has my FH....I saw my FH flashing the other day so I did a 10-15% water change though in some stress+zyme coat with my tap water and some aquarium salt & also cleaned my filter...NOW the Jag has just started flashing. I also recently pulled my current fan to the top of the tank....
Can someone please tell me why they are flashing all of a sudden??
.....I do not know what my water parameters... I judge water quality by observing my fish's colorations and mood.
Could it be I added to much aquarium salt? Should I another water change??....I don't get it..there was a period of time where I let my tank go and at that time I had wayyyy too much substrate and they were still fine...now that I'm trying my best they are acting up!!:irked:
ANY INPUT is greatly appreciated as I plan to grow these two out and keep them thriving and happy as long as physically possible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store