New Biotope Plans

Slough Shark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2006
Alberta, Canada
I am troubled with making a very difficult decisions, the nature tank that I had been planning may be turned into a biotope instead (the amazon biotope and puffer tank are all planned out) but I need some opinions.

Here are the two plans:

Commune (Nature Tank- 30 Gal):
2 (pair) Bolivian rams
3 Zebra Otocinclus
5 Takashi Amano Shrimp
5 Glass Cats
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Weather Loach
3 Betta Splendens (1 male, 2 females)

Or

Southeast Asian Blackwater Pool Biotope (30 Gal):
Weather Loach
5 Glass Catfish
5 Green Tiger Barbs
2 Dwarf Gourami (Male and Female)

Now I was seriously thinking of going with the Asian Biotope simply because the planted tank seemed a bit cramped and I didn't really want to lose any fish that are part of the plan. I do own a weather loach who is quite the character and I would really hate to part with him. It was a lamentable circumstance until I got the idea of making another biotope. Since I really like the idea of having an aquarium existing as natural as possible, I am leaning towards the biotope scenario.

Now I need some experienced opinions here, not just some goofballs (like me) that figure they know plenty about a fish just from research, experience is master here. Will the tiger barbs nip like crazy, or is it a plausible plan? Is that too few/too many glass cats? Will the gourami be too aggressive?

Opinions and thoughts people!!! Quick too, it's almost setup time, the has been painted!!!! And I to my stepmom for doing it for me.

Oh and BTW, the exact area I was hoping for was Thailand cause I researched and found that all these species hail from there. Except for the Dwarf Gourami, I found that they are from india, anyone know of a Common Gourami that is from thailand/indonesia area?

If anyone wants to see my Amazon Whiewater River Biotope and 10 Gal Puffer Tank Plans, just ask!

Slough Shark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Ok here they are, there will be some slight adjustments made, the Biotope plans will likely change daily. I plan on documenting the whole process with photos.

Commune (Nature Tank- 30 Gal):
2 (pair) Bolivian rams
3 Zebra Otocinclus
5 Takashi Amano Shrimp
5 Glass Cats
1 Siamese Algae Eater
1 Weather Loach
3 Betta Splendens (1 male, 2 females)

Or

Southeast Asian Blackwater Pool Biotope (30 Gal):

1 Weather Loach
5 Glass Catfish
3 Kuhli Loaches
3 Ornate Sand Loaches (If Purchasable (would replace the Kuhlis))

Sis’s Tank (10Gal):
1 Male Dwarf Gourami
4 Black Neon Tetras
3 Takashi Amano Shrimp

Amazonian Whitewater Biotope (29 Gal):
2 Silver Dollars
6 Marthae Silver Hatchet
4 Bronze Corydoras
2 Albino Corydoras

10 Gallon Puffer Tank:
3 Malabar Puffers
4 Takashi Amano Shrimps

fishnutham

Needs More Room!
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Brantford,Ont,canada
my first attempt at biotopes were simalar to yours might i suggest you try a single species tank with the concentration on the correct plants ,substrate ect you may find it more rewarding .
when you crowd a few species in it rarely looks natural unless its a large tank 100g>

Slough Shark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Yes, I like the idea, I will do the silver hatchets, with some cories too, this way, I can have plants. The Silver dollars will be traded with a batch of my other fish from a time when i was... uneducated... oblivious even. I had Goldfish, Koi, and a common Pleco in my 20 Gal tank. There it is, I confessed my noobish mistake and now I feel clensed of my sins!!!

:nilly:

Slough Shark

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2006
Alberta, Canada
Unless anyone has any objections, I'd like to roll with the idea of the Asian Biotope (20 Gal) if anyone thinks that it will not work, please give suggestons/advice.

For the Amazon Biotope, well I'm not sure, I'm open to ideas. I was hoping to incorporate some darter tetras, they look very interesting, only problem is I've never heard from someone who's owned them.

So, if possible:

Southeast Asian Blackwater Pool Biotope (20 Gal):
1 Weather Loach
5 Glass Catfish
3 Kuhli Loaches
3 Ornate Sand Loaches (If Purchasable (would replace the kuhlis))

Amazonian Biotope (25 Gal):
2 Bolivian Rams
6 Marble Hatchets or 5 Darter Tetras
4 Bronze Corydoras
2 Albino Corydoras

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store