Possibility?

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
I've been weighing every single option I have of what I want to house with my 14" FLG in my 125 Gal (72x24x17). The other day a crazy thought of a turtle being in there got my attention. Has anyone attempted keeping turtles with gars? I know filtration is key and basking areas. If this is possible, I havent been able to decide on the best size. I don't think musk turtles would bother FLG, but my FLG might eat him? Any opinions? This is just curiosity, I have no immediate plans for this. Thanks for any help!

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Turtles and gars are not usually good tankmates. Turtles can be nippy and given how gars are prone to lying on the bottom they are easy targets. Most turtles are not fish friendly as well.

I had previously housed a chinese softshell with some floridas for a number of months without issue. One day one of the gars was missing a large chunk of its tail at which point the turtle was sold.

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
Ok, do you think the gar would try to eat the turtle? I'm just wonder if he would try to, or if he did would he be able to break through the shell?

Dubeckyj

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2011
Canada
Gars bite to hold, they can't bite off. If the turtle is swallowable whole there might be an issue, but FLGs don't shred like gators or cubans. I think it's a bad idea that will result in an injured or dead gar.

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
Alright, thanks for the feedback. My gar is my prize possession right now so I will explore other options.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store