Updated pics of my gar

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Here's the original pic from a few months ago:

Here are some new ones (I apologize for the quality. Thought the glass was clean, but my livingroom light sucks so I couldn't tell until I uploaded the pics)

Not sure of his size. My fire eel is about 22" and my marble cat a little less than that, for comparison. He was about 11" when we got him, and I know he's grown a little bit.

Notice his spots got bigger but he has less of them.

So, spotted or what? (And don't bother trying to say FL, he's from Black River here in Missouri :p).

I keep thinking he looks too skinny because so many people on here have fat gar, but he eats until he's full all the time lol. Just not fattening foods. Mainly fish filet, crawfish, and some shrimp. He won't eat crickets anymore. He seems to find things that move "icky". Definitely domesticated ;) . He's also very outgoing. Every time I open the lid he snaps his snout at the top of the water and splashes. I guess to say he's hungry.

Mr.Catfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2010
NW Ohio
Spotted gar

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Thanks everyone. :)

And yeah, he has taken on a more silverish color than the mostly brown/bronze he was originally. You can see his fins are still goldish though.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
-great looking specimen; and yes, a spotted gar for sure! this specimen does a good job of showing off some of the very nuanced differences (but not singularly dependable) between FLGs and SPGs. good luck with the specimen and watch for that catfish "watching" your gar!--
--solomon

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Very nice! makes me miss my fires.. and you make me want to find a spotted even more. amazing patterns. yeah your cat would make me nervous for both eel and gar. but if it works dont knock it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store