saltwater tank cycleing

subparracer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2012
west virginia
how do you know when a saltwater tank is done cycling. because i have no clue. i know that its when all your parameters are at 0 .but then u might get a huge spike in one of then please help thanks.

Peg

Feeder Fish
Nov 5, 2013
Dayton
Hi. I am having problems with ammonia. Just recently started a new 75 gallon saltwater tank. All numbers were good and added 3 damsels and nitrite, nitrate and ammonia were still at zero so I added 4 clown fish 2 days ago and now the ammonia is off the chart. Any suggestions? Fish are looking stressed. I added ammonia lock and waited 24 hours but ammonia was still very high so I changed 50% of water. If ammonia is still high what should I do?

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
Need more information in order to provide any help... what size tank? What kind of filtration? How many lbs of live rock and sand? How long has it been up for? Right off the bat it honestly sounds like you either rushed adding livestock, or inadequate filtration.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cod

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
Michigan
Peg, first of all, i always hear damsels are a bad start. and you've added too many fish atm it seems, idk what your time table is. From the research i've done. I cycled my tank for 3-4 weeks, check water params, was decent. Got a occl. clown. Was good, and got another to pair up 2 weeks later. Bring new fish slowly at a time(3-4 week intervals between new fish), lots of patience. Take your time deciding on what fish to get because it can become a waste of money if you get the wrong fish. GL

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store