Dat info

Tbone7050

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2012
Victorville, CA
So I'm kinda looking to buy a datnoid but I see people writing stable and unstable and that they pick on other fish. I want to know some info on these guys. Are they mean? I will be putting then with bichirs if I do get one, are they bottom swimmers, what does stable and unstable mean?? Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
[video=youtube;vVvpkH-1sgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVvpkH-1sgg&list=UUpiLAkwN-z0NtXf2N09b-xw&index=12&feature=plcp[/video]
My old vid, Still going strong with bichirs. Silver Dat R.I.P :(
They actually a good mix :)
what ever my indo didnt eat, bichirs ate the left overs

Tbone7050

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2012
Victorville, CA
[video=youtube;vVvpkH-1sgg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVvpkH-1sgg&list=UUpiLAkwN-z0NtXf2N09b-xw&index=12&feature=plcp[/video]
My old vid, Still going strong with bichirs. Silver Dat R.I.P :(
They actually a good mix :)
what ever my indo didnt eat, bichirs ate the left overs
Dang that one in the back is huge! Is it a congicus??

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
My indo is a foot long and doesn't bother my fire eel, juvie sleeper goby, gars, or my 8" suncat. He gets grumpy when my big marbled pim sits on him but he just rams him or nips him gently and chases him off. I doubt he'd bother bichirs. He only gets grumpy if someone bothers him. He used to pick on and chase our breeding sevs because they'd harrass him and try to chase him out of their territory, but he never injured them severely. Just shredded fins. I removed them mainly because I didn't like them aggravating him.

Stable and unstable just refers to the clarity of the pattern. Clear well defined stripes on a solid lighter background is stable. A fish that turns dark, has faded or "choppy" stripes that blend more into the background is unstable.
Dats usually don't stay vividly and clearly patterned until they get a certain size, and many as adults won't stay that way all the time.
A stable dat is considered more attractive and possibly more comfortable with his surrounding. It really doesn't indicate anything about the health of the fish, since some big healthy dats don't stay stable. It's personal preference, and some people don't care either way.

Tbone7050

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2012
Victorville, CA
My indo is a foot long and doesn't bother my fire eel, juvie sleeper goby, gars, or my 8" suncat. He gets grumpy when my big marbled pim sits on him but he just rams him or nips him gently and chases him off. I doubt he'd bother bichirs. He only gets grumpy if someone bothers him. He used to pick on and chase our breeding sevs because they'd harrass him and try to chase him out of their territory, but he never injured them severely. Just shredded fins. I removed them mainly because I didn't like them aggravating him.

Stable and unstable just refers to the clarity of the pattern. Clear well defined stripes on a solid lighter background is stable. A fish that turns dark, has faded or "choppy" stripes that blend more into the background is unstable.
Dats usually don't stay vividly and clearly patterned until they get a certain size, and many as adults won't stay that way all the time.
A stable dat is considered more attractive and possibly more comfortable with his surrounding. It really doesn't indicate anything about the health of the fish, since some big healthy dats don't stay stable. It's personal preference, and some people don't care either way.
Ok cool thank you a lot. I was like wondering. If unstable meant that they just go berserk and freak out on everyone in the tank ahah. But you helped me out a lot. Thanks to both of you guys that answered!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store