Pics of my gars.

riverfishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2007
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
My three spotted gar.(Yes spotted not FLG) :) Smallest and largest are new thus the slightly skinned noses but the middle sized with the big spots i've had for a few months and hand feeds. Snappy little bugger though. Smallest is about 12-13 inches biggest is about 17-18 inches. And before someone possibly flames me about having them in a 220 im aware they contine to grow and start on a 13 x 4 x 4 tank in January.

Dahawkster15

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2012
Silsbee, tx
Very nice, I really like the coloration in the second picture. They're gonna be some big beauties!

riverfishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2007
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
The color patterns on the two new gar both have smaller spot patterns especially underneath than the one i've had a few months. The original came from a river about 40 miles away from the other two. The newer pair came from a large muddy farm drainage ditch network that rarely floods enough to connect to the river the original came out of. I'm curious as to whether or not its regional or environmental variation or just random chance.

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
ooohhhh! I want one, are they WC?

riverfishguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2007
Poplar Bluff, Missouri
Yeah they are WC but our gar population in south east missouri is insanely healthy. I take my boat out at night at times and you can stop and wait a few mintues then turn on a spotlight and count hundreds of them. The big drainage ditches are packed with them. You can legally take up to 5 of any given specimen in MO for personal use IE fish tanks as long as they aren't endangered.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
nice spotted gar you got there, I believe that the pattern is depend on genetic. I have 2 2ft spotted gar caught in Texas and both of them have the zigzag pattern similar to the gar on the third pic!

mrwinkle

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2009
South Georgia
Yeah they are WC but our gar population in south east missouri is insanely healthy. I take my boat out at night at times and you can stop and wait a few mintues then turn on a spotlight and count hundreds of them. The big drainage ditches are packed with them. You can legally take up to 5 of any given specimen in MO for personal use IE fish tanks as long as they aren't endangered.
They're beautiful!!

Anyone know how they are compared to Fl? Are they more aggressive, more active, just alike? It is a very broad question.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store