Canister filters

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
Hey internet. My one and only marineland canister C filter just died on me after nearly 10 years of operation. I was wondering what Brand or model I should be looking at for a replacement.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
What is size and stock of the tank?

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
What is size and stock of the tank?
It was running on a 40 gallon breeder with live plants and what not, but I always get the biggest size of any filter I purchase. IMHO if it is to small of a tank for said filter I just use sponge filters.

Ultimately I have dozens of larger tanks and this filter will jump around so don't get to hung up on the tank could be on a 125 gallon tank in a month.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I would run a rena XP3 or an eheim classic 2215 on that tank. Fluval FX5 is a good value but a little much for a 40g.

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
I'd get the FX5 and turn it down a bit on the 40. This would eventually be great for your other bigger tanks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Turning it down will put strain on the motor assembly over time. I run two 405s on my 40b planted. Overkill for a planted tank but I had the extra filter.

Sent from my DROIDX

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I have a 2217 on my planted 36g bowfront and have no complaints. I just added a 2075 on my 40g breeder African tank and it is doing a great job but might be a bit too much current in a planted tank.

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
The planted tank wouldn't be up more than another year. Additionally going to the FX5 might allow me to remove the OTB I have running now. This would be in my bedroom what volume do most of the canisters operate at?

kamikaziechameleon

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 23, 2010
western hemisphere
My tank is swords, java moss, lilly pads, and onion plants... stuff that has all done well with over 500 gph of current in my tank. Might do fine with 900 GPH. My filter feeding shrimp my go crazy for it. Also my fish are rainbows and hillstream loaches. Only real concern is if the filter intake will turn snails inside out. I can probably come up with a solution for that if it becomes a real problem. Also my smaller red and amono shrimp might be overwhelmed and not come out as much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store