How to make Datnoids more sociable

NajdanRW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Oregon
They're lurkers from what I noticed even if there are no places for them to hide they will lay against the glass and try to be a leaf/ dead fish it's cute and all lol but is there any way to allow them to be more comfortable? I have made some caves for them to see if that helps but even if there is nothing but plants they will lay against the glass.

Has anyone had success with making them comfortable enough where they will roam around the tank?uploadfromtaptalk1348075785917.jpg

Currently have 2 IT and one AT, 2 plecos one hifin spotted, one albino long fin, one BGKF, 3 khulli loaches, one chinese algae eater, 4 tiger barbs which I have used to get them on freeze dried shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp and massivore pellets.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

JLSEF9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
"WestCoast"
i use shiny fast swimming fish to get them out, tin foiled barb, silver dollars, lemon barbs..etc..

crazy4dats

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2012
ny
They pretty much decide when they're comfortable or not. All you can do is provide them with hiding spots and that's it.

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
^ pretty much.. but it also have to do with size.. 1-3" they are usually really forward.. then they have some seclusive teen angst at 3-8" and after that it's pretty much up to you how much you interact with the,..

NajdanRW

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Oregon
I have been feeding them freeze dried shrimp by hand but I think if I take out the caves and some of the hiding spots that they will hopefully swim around more. And hopefully they will be more willing to swim to the top for the shrimp instead of having me rinse my arm everytime just to hand feed them.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Ditherfish might help, but mainly they just have to get comfortable and settle in as they grow.

Mine is a foot long and still has antisocial moments. He actually has what we call his "angry corner" because periodically when he gets in a weird mood he goes over there and lays on the bottom against the glass looking angry. It's right out in the open but he sits in that specific spot when he gets irritated.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Yeah. Ours did that the other day when my husband rearranged the driftwood to take another fish out.

He acts inconsolable. You might be able to get him to move to grab some food but he immediately goes right back and looks at you angrily.

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
I've been keeping datnoids, mainly Indos, for 6yrs now. I was always asking the same ?, looking for a quik solution to make them more 'stable' and social. I tried changing lighting, parameters, decor, and dither fish. nothing changed. After about 2yrs, they started coming out of hiding more, and as time went by, they were showing thier stripes all time, and very active. From what I've learned, u just have to b patient!!! I now have a 10, 9, and two 7" gorgeous active indos. They hav no fear of visitors, and will eat from my hand. IMO, they were well worth the wait!!!

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Also you could try getting them on pellets. I feed mine Hikari Massivore Delight. Took awhile to get them off live n frozen food, but as soon as they see that bag of pellets, they get excited (if a fish gets excited lol) Seemed to speed up there growth as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store