feeding crickets to juvi's?

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
anyone do this with small, young gar? my little cuban must be eating, although i have not witnessed it. i caught him lunge at some guppies but miss and eat a little dried bloodworms. i was thinking of feeding some small crickets or pinheads to him to supplement food.

i did a lazy man search for the topic and didnt find much.

yalls thoughts?

CoryWentland

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Minnesota
Sounds like it's worth giving a try, i don't know, though. my baby/juvenile longnose loves small guppies and minnows, he also eats frozen bloodworms when they float on the top. i'm kind of just as curious as you are though, it sounds like a good idea to me.

ShadowBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
I started my spotted gar on crickets. He took to them immediately. You can gutload before you feed too.

Tramonte172

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2010
My fish room
It sounds worth a try. I have fed them to my Aba Aba.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
he ate some! looks like i will still let him work up to guppies since i have them and mollies breeding in the tank he is in, but a few days a week i will try some more crickets. unless of course someone on here knows a reason i should not. thanks for the replies.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
gar do eat insects in the wild so they will eat cricket if you give them cricket!

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Try pellets.. if hes eating food off the top it would a good opportunity to start introduceing them. stick with high quality ones like NLS, or Omega one. i found omega to be easier on them at first since the pellet is softer. look for pellets with "whole fish" in them. my cuban and lngs all where much quicker converts then my florida. not to say they dont get feeders... because they do. but it makes the pocket book easier and feeder runs less frequent. imo there is nothing wrong with feeding yoy gar pellets ect as long as they have food available 24/7 so feeding pellets along with haveing the live available at all times is a great way to feed.

crickets are fine to feed but are proteon dense and fat lean. your gar need both, thankfully feeders tend to be the opposite and are fat dense and protein lean. in the end offering a varied diet is ideal, so as long as the crickets are healthy, and well fed. i would avoid the commercially available cricket feeds ect, and use a slice of apple or potate to gut load them, and fish food ( ideally pellets you would feed your gar). im not aware that the commercially available cricket feeds are good or bad for your fish... but its much cheaper and safer to offer pellets and a slice of veg/fruit for water instead.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
tried pellets, and i also found some tiny feeder guppies so that he has more than he needs. he ate a pellet, and then about ten minutes later, caught and ate a guppy. i think he just needed some time to get used to the tank and used to my goofy head staring in at him.

thanks for the replies and reassurance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store