Indo Datnoid bully

Cicinho

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Indonesia
hi guys i have 2 indo datnoids in a tank with a perruno catfish and a leporinus. when i bought the first one, a reddish colored specimen it was peaceful and behaved normally. when i bought a second one, a more yellowish specimen everything changed. they were same size but then the second one started eating much more and then it got a bit bigger and more aggressive than the first one and the first one was bullied. it now mostly stays on one spot slanting on the wall. the second one also bullies the perruno catfish whenever the catfish wants to look for food and now the catfish mainly stays on one spot most of the time. what should i do? should i get another datnoid to disperse the aggression? i cannot move the first datnoid because no tanks would be compatible for it. one tank is for smaller predators that it will eat easily and the other is a tank for bigger predators that will eat it easily. what shud i do :irked:

ettfettbranamn

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
sweden
how long has this been going on?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I know just what you mean by the reddish colored one.I had one once and have not seen many since.You may have to get rid of the bully or get more dats so it can spread or change the focus of its aggression....Guess which one I would be getting rid of?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cicinho

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
Indonesia
Thx guys i think i'll be getting a new dat instead since the other tanks are incompatible for the bully (aka the yellow one). any suggestions which species i should get? the species often available at my LFS are ngt indo or silver dats.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I actually have a NGT and a NTT together in a sixty gallon tank growing out together.The only other fish in with them is an odoe pike and they all get along for the most part....NGT are usually more aggressive than the other dats so with that in mind choose which ever one you like.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Most aggressive dat I ever owned was an AT...in my experience, aggression between datnoids is common at first. My largest 10" dat was a straight up ******* towards my others, but after a year of bullying, he quit. Once they establish their place in tank, aggression with cease...it all patients! Adding coupe more may help too tho, or but not always the case.

Dionysus

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Your going to hav aggression if your dats r juvenile, u can add more dats, take out the bullies, but one of the other ones will most likely take place of bully u got rid off. Once they mature more, they become much more peaceful.

arodini

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
ohio
OP, I was in the same situation. The 10" leporinus was doing a great job at messing with them tigers all the time so they didn't turn on each other too much. Then I added a third tiger, same size at around 9"-10". The new one quickly became The alpha, which was very interesting. Then I added 5x redhooks, 3"-5", which I later regretted. The Alpha got bullied by the other two dats, got hurt and then died.

What I tried before adding the third dat was adding a big 13"-14" pink giant gouramis, which really kept the two dats in check. The tank was peaceful till the GG got to around 16"-17", when she turned to the dats hunting them down to the point I had to put up a divider. Then later I gave the GG away. So you may want to try adding a bigger fish, may be a pike or aro, if you still want to keep the two dats.

Good luck, and keep us posted as I'm interested to hear what direction you take.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store