What kind of giraffe catfish is this?

aharley8930

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2012
clarksville,tn
I was wondering what kind of giraffe catfish you guys thought this was. He is from the volta river and i read he could be one of two. either occidentalis or biscutatus if im not mistaken. what do you guys think? i was also wondering how you teach them to hand feed. any help is appreciated thanks

2012-09-23 17.16.56.jpg

2012-09-23 17.17.36.jpg

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
I've kept a few species of Giraffe cat but have never seen one quite like this, you may have something quite rare and unique in the hobby. It may be an occidentalis variety as their colors and patterns vary widely depending on what country and river system they come from as they're found in many places throughout Africa. Their color and patterns will also change as they grow into adults. Your fish is somewhat similar to what is known as a. occidentalis cf. 'bouche' but they come from Guinea, not the Volta River basin as does yours. In any case you have a really great looking fish, major score!

Yellowcat

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
SoCal
About hand feeding, they will learn it all on their own eventually, once they get over their initial shyness and settle in for a while. It will happen mainly due to their amazing appetites and friendly attitude...

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Agreed. Baby and juvi g-cat ID is hard even with excellent pics. Too many look-alikes and too much variability within species, as Yellowcat pointed out. I'd let him grow to maybe a foot and then try again here or better on PlanetCatfish - I know there are great g-cat-ID experts there.

As for the hand feeding, you have to wait until the fish is not scared of you approaching and opening the tank. This will occur when the fish will associate you with food.

Then, making sure you have nothing bad on your hand (soap, grease, deodorant, perfume, make-up, lotion, etc.), take some food in your hand and offer it to him. It may take a while and lots of patience. The good thing, once he learns, he will stick to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store