Cuban has a mouth issue

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
I will try as get pics shortly, but my Cuban has what looks like a fungus. Just noticed this evening that he has a white patch in his mouth and his mouth isn't fully closing. He was eating great all week and this morning. I checked the levels and the ammonia was a bit high so I did a 1/3 water change and ammo is stabilized.

There are a few white patches on his anal fin and base of tail fin.

Any suggestions more than welcome

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Keep water clean, if u have ammonia is do Atleast 1/3 everyday or every other day, properly treat water and match temp, Ull be good.

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

fwprawn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2011
New England
I have heard Cubans are the most sensitive gar to water quality - keep an eye on that, and keep on top of those water changes - keep the water really clean and it should clear up.

Leebtattoos

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2012
Lampasas, Texas
I have heard Cubans are the most sensitive gar to water quality - keep an eye on that, and keep on top of those water changes - keep the water really clean and it should clear up.
Yeah I just did a 10% Friday. But maybe some feeders died off that I thought were eaten. Sucks. The ammonia level wasn't sky high, it was .75 -1.0 ppm. Obviously any is too high. I guess I just got complacent since it hasn't changed in months.

Now it's at 0- 0.25 ppm tops. Will do another change in the morning and continue with a 20% every day until he clears up or I feel the spike is cycled through and stay more diligent on it.

Hoping for the best

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Make sure u have adequate bio for bb, your tank isn't fully cycled, I bet you don't read n03. Take care of ur bio media with thriving bb Colonies, they are like gold, they keep a tank healthy with massive amounts of fish waste!

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

Mr.dempsey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2012
Where the fish go.
If it was me i would be doing alot bigger then 20% a day, especially since your gar has something wrong with it! Think your trying to do two things at the same time, 1 Bring your parameters back to normal in the tank and 2 clear up the fungus that came about from poor water conditions, clean fresh water and even some salt is your best friend for the next week or so. Carnivores need a strict water change schedule do to their high protein diet and messy eating habits that pollute the water very fast plus they can leave a nice sized gift for you on the bottom of the tank.

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Unless ur tap contains very high amounts of ammonia its coming from your tank, which, means its not cycled, you should ONLY read nitrates. NO nitrites or ammonia.

Being setup for years means that it should be stable, perhaps your wc schedule needs adjusting.

Go S. Vettel #1 rb8

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store